px100 left driver buzzing
Oct 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
when i turned on the computer this afternoon, and also more recently again this evening, i slipped on my px100s so i could listen to some pink floyd while trying to find out what some of my homework for tomorrow was. i turned on dsotm and to my horror, during Speak to Me (the opening quiet part with the bass drum), the left driver in the phones was rattling with each beat of the bass drum. this has never happened before, and it was still happening when i turned the volume down. it doesn't happen on the highs and mids present in lots of the guitar solo, nor on the bass guitar, just with the strong slam of the bass drum at the beginning an end of the album.

what's going on? i've had these since july (bought them in airport in amsterdam on way to poland), whenevr i've brought them on the go they've either been on my head or in the hard case that comes wiht them. now they mainly rest on top of my computer, unless i'm listening to them of course, with the drivers twisted to lie flat on the top of the case.

thanks guys, i might just have to speed up my getting an ms-1 when i get my debit ard (which will come with m license)

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 13
if its not you source, then it might be a hair vibrating against the diaphram. my ksc75s started buzzing so i took the earpads off, the diaphram off, and blew all the crap off of it. i was surprsed how much hair can get in there, even long peices of hair!! how th heck did it pass through the foam pads so easily?? but maybe its just my hair.

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 13
i'll try it out. i hope it isn't the source (sb live 5.1). i hope to upgrade it in the near future, anyway, but i'd like it to last until i have the money/cc to do so

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 13
if you do that you better be ultra careful when handling the diaphrams. i didnt literally blow the stuff off the diaphram, i more like picked it off very gently or brsuhed it off with a peice of paper.

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 13
I have also had this problem with my px 100s and my ipod. I never really cared about it, and it goes in and out. It doesent bother me, when it happens turn off the music for a couple mins and see if its better. If that doesent work maybe yours are actually broken.

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 13
i took the foam pads off the px100s and found no hairs. what's the diaphram if not these pads?

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 13
This has happened several times on my pair as well. Getting off the foam and getting any stray hair out has always fixed... leaving no doubt that it was the hair causing theproblem.

Look closely, small pieces of hair (or maybe something else) is probably causing rattling.

Also, get any hair out of the foam pad. Sometimes a piece of hair is half way through and is poking out, so when you place the pad back on the hair again comes into contact with the driver (diaphragm)

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 13
I just wanted to thank you all for this old thread. I had this same problem with my PX-100s recently and it drove me crazy. I removed the foamies and removed the hair and now it's back to normal.

Now it's time to enjoy that fantastic bass again.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 13
well some times it not hair. there is a copper ring and a magnet. and if they are not properly touch together it starts buzzing...

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 13
sounds to me like they crapped out,1 driver handling bass,mids and highs usually gives the driver a bit of a kicking until its craps out and fails,the diaphram could simply be damaged from excessive volume and bass,bit of a shame really i thought the px100 were well built ibuds usually have similar problems where the soft flexible papery material on the driver obviously vibrating making the sound simply rips,then its time for the trash throw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back