PX100-IIs not cutting it, what can I replace them with?
Jul 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

greendream

New Head-Fier
Now when I say not cutting it I don't mean in sound, I have grown to love these guys and after leaving them for an overnight burn-in everythintg balanced out.

Where they are not cutting it, however, is in my office. They bleed too much, my colleagues are getting annoyed, and now that I think about when I crank them to hear on the underground (London) I bet they are pretty loud for everyone else as well.

These badboys will go home to use at night when I can't disturb my flatmates.

Obviously I need a closed back 'phone! I am no bothered about isolation in outside sound getting in, but it's the inside sound getting out that is annoying (I know the 2 are linked though!). Anyway, I want to spend approx. £50 ($80), and ideally they'd be light and/or foldable (another thing I like about the senns!)

My source is an ipod nano so I don't need to go over the top, and I listen mainly to noise rock, folk and country. As a guide, though, I have been impressed with the sound of the senns.

My bit of research has led me to the PX200-II, which seem to perhaps not have the qualities I am looking for as far as sound goes, and the aiaiai tracks, which although I always assumed were just style-over-substance fashion-'phones have got some pretty good reviews etc. (and are available in all black, thank goodness) and maybe the ATH-ES55 (which don't seem to fold very small at all, and the band looks a little weak, plus might be outside my budget).

Is there anything I have overlooked? Which of these sets do you think comes out the best?

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 3
I have heard, I think I read it on headroom, (though cannot verify through personal experience) that the PX200's bass response was not as good in the closed back version.  That's what steered me away from them, being a big fan of the PX100, PX100ii's.   Have you thought about getting into some IEM's?

Also people seem to love the HD-25.   I haven't heard it, but I would like to.  That's a pretty good price jump, but I think it will be hard to beat the PX100's without having to forking over some more cheese. But you would need an amp...   IEM's might be your best bet with the nano.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 3
I have tried IEM's in the past, but I find them really uncomfortable after about half an hour and are pretty fiddly to get in. Plus (I'm sure high end models sort this out though) I find the "stethoscope" effect (where vibrations up the cord are really audible, sort of underwater sounding) really annoying.

I used to have the HD-25 a couple of years ago, and they were incredible (although not VERY portable!), I lost them at a party however. I really don't know if I could afford to get another set though, as much as I would like to! Haha, I also found that I had to be VERY careful crossing the road wearing those guys on! Also an amp adds more £££ and more pocket-stuff. To be honest I don't necessarily want to BEAT the PX100, just equal them with less leakage.

I also found the Jays line of headphones just now... are the C-Jays closed back? How much to they leak? And on the topic of leaking, does anyone know how much the Aiaiai Tracks leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back