PX100 & Headphone Amp
Jan 8, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiranV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically i really like the px100, but they are quite grating my ear's, that's maybe because i need to set my EQ right? cause i really don't know how to do that well..

Sadly I'm not sure what you mean by grating...

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 33
You know... "High unpleasant sound".

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

The PX-100's are not typically associated with a problematic high end. It might be your source. I've used the PX-100's for several years, and generally find them to be a little bit rolled off at the high end (although I still like them very much).

P.S. And they definitely can be improved with a amp, although it may depend on the amp, of course. I recently spent some time listening to the the PX-100's out of a Rio Karma with the P-51 Mustang, and the P-51 may a more than subtle difference.

P.P.S. And I don't know how anyone can say that the improvement from an amp is or is not worth a certain dollar value to someone else. The value of money and value of an improvement in SQ is something each individual can only judge for himself or herself.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 33
I'll have to go with T7 here...

The sound signature of the PX100s is pretty much the same directly from my Fuze or amped with a Portaphile Maxxed.

There is a slight difference, as T7 mentioned, but it is most probably due to volume.

USG

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Ah, ok.

Hm, I never thought the PX100 had a lot of high frequency. Actually, I thought the PX100 had the opposite (focused much more on the low and mid frequencies).

The two main things that may be causing your unpleasant sound is either: (A) You are very sensitive to high frequencies, or (B) your iRiver H340 is not set on flat EQ (it might be boosting the HF range).

I would double check your iRiver H340 and see what the EQ settings are set at just to be sure that is not the cause.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to go with T7 here...

The sound signature of the PX100s is pretty much the same directly from my Fuze or amped with a Portaphile Maxxed.

There is a slight difference, as T7 mentioned, but it is most probably due to volume.

USG

x2. The descriptions of improvements sounds like improvements noticed at higher volumes. I can't test it because I don't have an amp that I can run these out of that won't make my ears bleed.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 33
Reading all these replies makes me think that the reverse 414 pads have a lot to do with what I'm hearing.

With the 414 pads, the px100s go from a rolled off high end, hefty low end phone to the exact opposite with MUCH better soundstage. With an amp, the low end becomes much more defined and slightly louder. While with the standard pads, this might not provide a large change, with the 414 pads, it makes the phone much better imo

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading all these replies makes me think that the reverse 414 pads have a lot to do with what I'm hearing.

With the 414 pads, the px100s go from a rolled off high end, hefty low end phone to the exact opposite with MUCH better soundstage. With an amp, the low end becomes much more defined and slightly louder. While with the standard pads, this might not provide a large change, with the 414 pads, it makes the phone much better imo

Are you talking about the AKG 414 pads?
There is a place that sell's those pads?

And could someone please explain me more about "sound signature"?

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know, that's probably what you are noticing. Hm, Never thought the pads would make a big difference on the PX100. Guess they do.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

And could someone please explain me more about "sound signature"?

When I say sound signature, or sonic signature, I mean how the headphones sounds in general. The overall sound of the headphone, including the highs, mids, lows, soundstage, detail.

These were my impressions on the PX100's sonic signature:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ssions-395769/

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 33
jinp6301, there is a place where i can order the 414 pad in other color than yellow (that's all they have on ebay)?
and what do you mean "reverse 414 pads"?

also it will be great if you can post a picture of your px100 with the new 414 pads..

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 33
Won't post a pic of a reverse HD414 pad mod, but here are mine with normal HD414 pads and an iPhone cord
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_0078.jpg

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 33
Jan 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, that's probably what you are noticing. Hm, Never thought the pads would make a big difference on the PX100. Guess they do.

If the drivers are like 1/2 inch away from your ear then before, a lot of bass gets lost
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back