px100 > HD485
Sep 22, 2007 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hardstyler

500+ Head-Fier
So I just bought px100 and I'm comparing them to my other headphones at the moment. Is it just me or do these sound way better than more expensive HD485?

px100 have nice mids and highs and are generally very smooth sounding.Bass is very good too. I find bass to be a bit stronger than KSC75 but not by much. HD485 on the other hand have VERY recessed mids and harsh/exaggerated sounding highs. And that makes px100 much more enjoyable to listen to.

Does anyone else feel the same?

BTW px100 are absolutely fantastic headphones for the price. They sound so good
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I just got the HD485 and the bass feels a abit overpowering on the mids, but it sounds fine to me (though I still need to burn them in, I heard people say they sound ALOT better once burned in) With the px100 people said it pretty much stabilizes after half a day or so..

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 6
As I wrote a while ago:
Quote:

I've heard the HD485, and I can say the IMHO they are just awful. It's like taking a small and not that good bookshelf speaker and adding a gigantic sub woofer from one the the worst brands. The don't have any detail, any balance, and no mids, and the bass when used with a capable source/a normal amp will be just too much. My friend who owns the HD485 moved to the RP21 and is just amazed by the difference. The HD555 are a better option. They are more detailed, more balanced, and have a much better bass quality and amount.
If you are going to use it using a very weak sound card with no amp the HD485 may sound ok since it wont have too much bass. But in any other situation, avoid it.

I just want to mention once again, this is my opinion, and even thought I stand by it 100%, these of you who like the HD485, keep in mind this is my opinion and yours may vary. On the other hand, try to listen to it with a nice amp/ a strong sound card (if you dont have an amp) and only than decide.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 6
I bought the PX100 and HD485s at the same time. I like different aspects of both but on the whole the HD485 has a nicer sound - it's just that the bass is too overwhelming on certain tracks.

Everyone recommends them for dance/bass-heavy music but I don't know why, they get bloated and thumpy. On the other hand they do acoustic really nicely.

The great swathes of bass makes them fantastic movie/gaming headphones, too.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Well I feel the px100 are better in every way to be honest. They sound so muddy compared to px100 which sound very clear.

When I bought HD485 last year I liked them because they provided good bass and it was a good open alternative to my K81DJ. They still sound ok its just that I think px100 are better and that is strange because they are cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 6
I really liked the PX100's when I auditioned them at a Seattle mini-meet back in May. They were on par with my KSC75's, but had better lower bass extension.

FYI - Jude (the originator of HF) has PX100's rated 2nd in his Portable List.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back