PX100 died. What to replace it with?
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

antikryst

100+ Head-Fier
Need help replacing a px100. Heres is what I need:

1. closed, portable
2. cheap.. $100 or so
3. must be comfortable for use in bed

This will be used mostly for watching movies off a tablet in bed. I doubt I will use it much for music as I have a different setup for that.

Looking at the creative aurvana live. But Im worried that its not a good set to use in bed due to the size. 

Any decent options from AKG or Audio Technica? Saw that they have multiple models for small closed sets. Or would I be better off just getting a new px100 or a px100-2?

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Hello,

Is there anything that you like and dislike about the PX100? How do you find it's comfort to be?

Assuming you like everything about the PX100, here's what I would recommend to you:
Sennheiser HD439 [over-ear]
Ultimate Ears UE4000 [on-ear]

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Hello,

Is there anything that you like and dislike about the PX100? How do you find it's comfort to be?

Assuming you like everything about the PX100, here's what I would recommend to you:
Sennheiser HD439 [over-ear]
Ultimate Ears UE4000 [on-ear]

Hope it helps

Comfort of the px100 is fine. I just don't like the foam pads. They tend to tear easily.

I actually love the bose on ears comfort. Though it's too pricey for what it is. I would get it for under 100 usd but it's about 200 where I am.

The reason why I asked about audio technica and akg is that I can get those in Manila easily.

Also saving up for he500s that's why I'm on a budget with this set. I use sure 940s normally. Or se425s when I listen to music in bed. But I want convenient decent sounding portables that are on ears for movies.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Comfort of the px100 is fine. I just don't like the foam pads. They tend to tear easily.

I actually love the bose on ears comfort. Though it's too pricey for what it is. I would get it for under 100 usd but it's about 200 where I am.

The reason why I asked about audio technica and akg is that I can get those in Manila easily.

Also saving up for he500s that's why I'm on a budget with this set. I use sure 940s normally. Or se425s when I listen to music in bed. But I want convenient decent sounding portables that are on ears for movies.

I am not sure if AKG and ATH have decent sub $100 headphone as I have never really tried them. The UE4000 is highly recommended for you as they really fit your needs 

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Problem is I can't get the UE here. Tried the Philips l1. Wow. I like it a lot. It has the bose like memory foam pads and the miss are quite nice. Just too expensive locally.

Also tried a 50$ set by audio technica and it was bad. Forgot which model though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 11
The only thing I ever liked about the PX-100 was the way it would collapse into the box.  It was sort of like having one of those wood-block puzzles that you could go back to every once in awhile for a diversion.  In terms of sound quality, they always sounded dull and lifeless.

Tyll seems to like the HD239.  It's not as small as the PX-100, but has the unobtrusiveness to blend into an office environment.  I'm a bit skeptical though, after my experience with most Sennheiser's short of the HD25 or HD580/600/650.  The lower grade Sennheisers always struck me a bit like the PX-100: dull, lifeless, and bassy.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 11
The only thing I ever liked about the PX-100 was the way it would collapse into the box.  It was sort of like having one of those wood-block puzzles that you could go back to every once in awhile for a diversion.  In terms of sound quality, they always sounded dull and lifeless.

Tyll seems to like the HD239.  It's not as small as the PX-100, but has the unobtrusiveness to blend into an office environment.  I'm a bit skeptical though, after my experience with most Sennheiser's short of the HD25 or HD580/600/650.  The lower grade Sennheisers always struck me a bit like the PX-100: dull, lifeless, and bassy.

Well.. Once you have grown accustomed to nice sets cheap ones sound cheap. But I like some cheap ones like the px100 for what they are. I've tried the hd238 and it was nice. But isn't the 239 open as well? I need something closed with minimal sound leakage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back