PX-100 Upgrade with unusual requirements
Aug 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jwalsh1

Head-Fier
Hello,

Ive tried a number of different headphones looking for something that works for me. Ive used a cheapy open sony headphone forever without any issues, except the sound was blah. Awful actually. Being that I use headphones a lot on planes, I wanted to get something a little better with some sound blocking...however, Ive found that since I get bouts of vertigo from meniere's, that threw a wrench in things -

I tried the Westone UM1's - sounded great but make me dizzy with a headache within a short time (within a single song).

Tried the M-audio Q-40's and love, no, ADORE the sound, but they make me dizzy and nauseated with a very pointed headach. The sound is so freakin perfect to me though. Again, happens after maybe 1 song.

Went to cheapy sony in ears - make me motion sick after removing them and decided no more iems. Which blows IMO. As an aside, I CAN use the stock earbuds without issues.

Finally went to Senn PX-100, I like the sound and voila' no issues at all. I like these phones very much.

So Im thinking my brain just cant tolerate total isolation (but ear plugs dont bother me?), so maybe Im an open phone only guy.

I want to find something with sound similar to the Q-40 and senn px-100 (IMO warm, with plenty of bass) but maybe in a semi-open or open phone so maybe theres some isolation but not total? Do you have any suggestions for something I could try thats not too much money (100 USD or so?).

Thanks in advance.

edit - I use these with an ipod, and would prefer something not needing an amp. But if its compelling enough Id consider it.
Jason

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Senn PX-100s do not block noise at all, so you can cross them off your list of candidates for plane usage.

Have you tried closed over-the-ear phones? Open over-the-ear might not do so well on planes, as you'll hear a lot of the engine noise, and other passengers will be able to hear your tunes as well.

You could always risk it and try these:

BRAND NEW AMPD MOBILE NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES on eBay.ca (item 250486930698 end time 02-Sep-09 09:35:04 EDT)

They're clones of a few different pairs of noise canceling phones out there, most notably probably being the Skullcandy Proletariat. Considering how much they're usually worth, you most likely won't find a better deal around.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on their sound, as my pair is still in the mail.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalsh1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mainly ambient/electronica (Autechre, Moby, Brian Eno type stuff), and rock (everything from Dylan to Opeth).

Good man! Autechre and Brian Eno are amazing! Be sure to check out the new "Totems Flare" LP by Clark on Warp. I love that guy. Kind of like Boards of Canada meets Audio technology research. "Body Riddle" and "Turning Dragon" are also stellar. Plugs aside, if you want a set of cans that will handle complicated electronic music like this well, then the Shure SRH-840's are a safe bet. Pretty decent isolation for airplane travel as well, but there will always be a bit of leakage in (not out), fulfilling that additional requirement. I listen to them in a busy lab with loads of white noise and conversation. I can always hear what's going on around me, but it is never loud enough to take away from the music. With my PX100's, on the other hand--really amazing 'phones for the price and compact size in my opinion--there's just too much bleeding in. I have to turn the volume up to unsafe levels for long-period listening. Not advisable!
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer:

I have tried closed, but I think they contribute to the vertigo in some way. Cant explain it but I just havent had luck. My closed phones are the Q-40's.

I own the px-100 and currently use them on the plane. Yea they let in sound but they are still usable. Im looking for something that might be n upgrade in the dark/warm sound that are still open or semi closed.

I love early Autechre, though their newest stuff is cool too. But the hidden melodies in the early stuff is just brilliance. Ill check Clark out, sounds good. Besides you cant go wrong on the Warp label. My current faves that you might like are Yasume (Where we're from the birds sing a pretty song) and Bola, the one with the cover that looks like an insect.

Ill try to check those Shures out, didnt know they made non-iems. Im also thinking maybe the Senn 238?

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, Bola's Soup, Fyuti and Gnayse (all with bizarre "insects" on the covers) on the Skam label are all awesome. Again, a bit of that Boards of Canada thing going on, without the analog sounds of decay/re-re-re-recorded recordings on cheap tape. BoC actually used to be on Skam, many years back. The new albums "Ambivalence Avenue" by Bibio and "Los Angeles" by Flying Lotus (both on Warp) are also stellar. If you are into the instrumental sounds of J Dilla, but with more electronic textures, you will like these two. Cheers!

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn PX-100s do not block noise at all, so you can cross them off your list of candidates for plane usage.

Have you tried closed over-the-ear phones? Open over-the-ear might not do so well on planes, as you'll hear a lot of the engine noise, and other passengers will be able to hear your tunes as well.

You could always risk it and try these:

BRAND NEW AMPD MOBILE NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES on eBay.ca (item 250486930698 end time 02-Sep-09 09:35:04 EDT)

They're clones of a few different pairs of noise canceling phones out there, most notably probably being the Skullcandy Proletariat. Considering how much they're usually worth, you most likely won't find a better deal around.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on their sound, as my pair is still in the mail.

My son got a pair of those a year and a half ago and they're barely decent, but we felt that $20 at the time was worth it. For $10 it's not a bad deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back