Px 100 - fake or just expecting too much?
Jun 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Monkey_feces

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a px-100 from buy.com. Are they an authorized retailer?

Anyway, my hd 280s serve as my benchmark of sound quality. When I compare them (forgive me for not knowing the audiophile vernacular), the px 100 seems to provide less definition (muddy) than the hd 280s which have: a tinge of brightness in the bass that still remains scrumdidlyumptious, mids that can only be described as silky and TOOO THEEE MAAAAAAX!!!!!!!!!!, and the highs contain a tinge of salutary sibilance that is mildly recessed and gives me a totally hard boner.

Erections aside, the point of my post is, "should the px 100s compare to the hd 280s in sound quality"?

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 11
I like your descriptors. You really need to do full length reviews.
biggrin.gif

You are probably expecting too much. Good disposable portables but that's it.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Unfortunately, they did come with a hard plastic carrying case. Dammit, I thought I would only have to spend $30 for headphones that are lighter, more comfortable, and have colored bass for movies and games.

I'm only willing to shell out for a beyerdynamic dt 770, or hd 595 at the most, but I am eying the hd 555's. Will the hd 555 cure my urge to upgrade?

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 11
well
1) Buy.com is an authorized dealer (sennheiser guy said that in senn sponsor forum)
2) PX 100 are open causing more sound to be lost to the surroundings on the other hand HD 280 shoot all the sound in your head so you probably hear more, this my opinion.
3) How the heck do you pronounce scrumdidlyumptious..
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 11
The px100's are good, portable headphones. Although they are open, (which discludes them from GOOD public transport use) they have served me well. For portables, when compared to things like Sony Clip ons or Sony Behind-the-neck headphones, the PX100s are AWESOME.

Obviously they arent audiophile quality, but they are definitely well worth the money and some of the best-cheap portables. (there are others dont get me wrong.) On the other hand, the Sennheiser 280 Pros are $60 MORE on average, and are studio quality headphones. They are used for mixing and monintoring in the studio. This is why they 1. clamp your head and 2. have detailed, flat sound.

Although you CAN compare them if you want, the PX100s are always going to be open, portable headphones.

After using my audio technica A700's a lot, when I listen to my PX100's they sound like crap. I have to tell myself they are $40 portables, and my Technicas are $140 audiophile cans.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well
tongue.gif

Ss-crum-did-a-lee-yum-shus, I believe.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 11
The HD280 Pro is a giant pile of crap and the PX100 (real) is a brilliant little set of headphones. The fake PX100 is lesser in every regard, build and comfort more than sound but sound still notably.

I would pick a fake PX100 over the HD280 without even stopping to think about it, even the fake PX100 doesnt make everything sound like the aural person child of chewing tin foil with fillings in your wisdom teeth mated with putting a sheet of acrylic plastic in front of a set of creative or logitech PC speakers. No amount of source/amp compensation redeems the HD280 to any level and the best I tried was the Meridian G08/Singlepower Extreme.

For better sound than either headphone for less cost (to the HD280 UK retail) throw a set of SFI isodynamic drivers into a Goldring DR100 housing. For that little bit of effort and a little tweaking time you get something which is disconcertingly close to the Ergo AMT per pound spent.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey_feces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the px 100 seems to provide less definition (muddy) than the hd 280s which have: a tinge of brightness in the bass that still remains scrumdidlyumptious, mids that can only be described as silky and TOOO THEEE MAAAAAAX!!!!!!!!!!, and the highs contain a tinge of salutary sibilance that is mildly recessed and gives me a totally hard boner.

Erections aside, the point of my post is, "should the px 100s compare to the hd 280s in sound quality"?

LMAO

I've tried real PX 100 and they left me limp.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Didn't you ever see Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory? (Though he did slightly misspell scrumdidilyumptious, I can understand if that threw you off.
wink.gif
)

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD280 Pro is a giant pile of crap and the PX100 (real) is a brilliant little set of headphones. The fake PX100 is lesser in every regard, build and comfort more than sound but sound still notably.

I would pick a fake PX100 over the HD280 without even stopping to think about it, even the fake PX100 doesnt make everything sound like the aural person child of chewing tin foil with fillings in your wisdom teeth mated with putting a sheet of acrylic plastic in front of a set of creative or logitech PC speakers. No amount of source/amp compensation redeems the HD280 to any level and the best I tried was the Meridian G08/Singlepower Extreme.

For better sound than either headphone for less cost (to the HD280 UK retail) throw a set of SFI isodynamic drivers into a Goldring DR100 housing. For that little bit of effort and a little tweaking time you get something which is disconcertingly close to the Ergo AMT per pound spent.

My hd px 100s are real and compared to the hd 280s, the px 100s sound like they have down syndrome. My simple benchmark is how I can hear the flies buzzing around near the dumpster of cs_office, or I can hear a desert breeze filling tunnel B in de_dust 2 (counterstrike source stuff). With the px 100, I'm just thinking to myself, "why do my guns all sound like farts?".

The lows aren't warm, the mids aren't flowing with milk and honey, and the highs aren't bright. I would describe the px 100's: lows as warm from fresh excrement spewn on one's chest, the mids as flowing with man chowder and bloody secretions, and the highs as being bright (the kind of bright that you get from staring directly at the sun for 4 hours, or when your eyes melt, whichever comes first).

On the plus side, I guess there's an advantage to having headphones that you can recklessly abuse.

Edit: I turned up the volume and am getting some detail (nowhere close to the hd 280). The bass is muddy and still makes gunfire sound flatulent. Point is, I shouldn't have to turn up the volume to an uncomfortable, and almost painful listening level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back