Puzzled... What happened???
Oct 28, 2004 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ArChaos

Headphoneus Supremus
I just can't figure what happened to my files today... After finishing to download a bittorrent file I just couldn't find the opened files, not in the default specified target folder and not anywhere in the computer - nevertheless I know for sure they are there ... somewhere. The story goes like that:-

1) I opened/downloaded the torrent file as usual - it should go as usually to the "downloads" folder as all the other torrents (and as defined in BitCommet as the target folder)...there are 3 torrents that I'm downloading this time.

2) Two of them go as usual to the target folder - no problem. The files of the third torrent, which appears in BitComet's window as finished as well, do not show at all in the "Downloads" (target) folder...

3) Very strange, I think to myself, I should have remembered if I changed the target folder...I guess I did it inadvertently ... so I make a search for it.

4) The search fails to find the files although the BitCommet app. shows them as already downloaded. I search in the BitCommet window - WHERE TO did it download the files and I find the exact address (***C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\45HY678\Folder"X"\ files"X" ) No way on earth I specified this BY MYSELF...

5) O.K - so I go down all this tree to find my files. The deepest I can go down is *Temporary Internet Files* - deeper than this it looks like ALL THE FOLDERS AND FILES DO NOT EXIST!!! ( *Content.IE5\45HY678\Folder"X"\ files"X"* ) - SHOW HIDDEN FILES and SHOW SYSTEM FILES are BOTH enabled.

6) I go back to BitCommet and I right-click the torrent file itself - luckily I find there "Browse Download Directory" and I go there... It OPENS!!! and shows all the files inside - It means it exists "somewhere" in my computer - to make sure I copy and paste the files in a NEW folder I make on the desktop.
The files are there.

I do a New search to double check - SHOW HIDDEN FILES and SHOW SYSTEM FILES are enabled - the files on the desktop folder SHOW ALL RIGHT the files in the *Temporary Internet Files* are like INEXISTENT.

What do I miss?

1) How and why were the files downloaded to a target folder I clearly and surely haven't specified?
confused.gif

2) Why aren't they showing on the computer as the BitCommet specifies although the clearly exist there (otherwise I couldn't have copied and pasted them in my NEW folder) ?
confused.gif

Thanks all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back