Putting together a turntable set up. Help!
Feb 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moot11

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, 

I'm planing on putting together my first turntable set up and have a few questions. I'm planning on having my setup consist of the following parts:

Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers
Schitt Vali
U Turn Tuntable

My question to you guys, is if I'm missing anything? I did some reading, and I believe the turntable will plug into the Vali amp and the vali amp will then plug into the speakers. Is that correct?

My other question is if anyone has additional recommendations on my set up. I have the Vali already, but I'm flexible on the turntable and the speakers.

I also have a modi, but I believe this is only used with portable devices like smartphones and laptops, right?

Thanks! 

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 6
  Ahh, I see. In that case, I should be able to plug the turntable into the Vali and the Vali into headphones, right? Thanks.

No--from what I can tell the turntable does not has a built-in phono pre-amp.  One (external) is offered as an option in the "build your own" version. 

I also noticed a cuing device is not standard.  It too is a "build your own" extra cost option.

The standard cartridge is $20 on Amazon.

If you can afford it, this is a much better option:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 6

No--from what I can tell the turntable does not has a built-in phono pre-amp.  One (external) is offered as an option in the "build your own" version. 

I also noticed a cuing device is not standard.  It too is a "build your own" extra cost option.

The standard cartridge is $20 on Amazon.

If you can afford it, this is a much better option:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

AHH, nice! I was trying to set up a sub $200 system and many recommended the u turn orbit, but with all the necessary additions it brings things past $200, so I'm just going to buy the one you recommended.

One last question: I have to choose either powered speakers or headphones and a amp, right? There's no way to set things up where I can have both options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back