Putting / Connecting 2 pin iem connectors backwards
Jan 11, 2017 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rymnd6c28

New Head-Fier
Hi all, since I can't find any thread regarding this, I would like to ask :
Is putting the 2 pin iem connectors backwards can cause damage or something I don't want?

A little backstory/info, just bought an Oriolus Forsteni, notice that in the spec sheets that it says the R/L logos should face the same direction as the Oriolus logo. And then I bought a balanced aftermarket cable, re:cord by oyaide. I judged by the curve of the cable near the 2 pin connectors which way I was supposed to plug my iem in. But contradicting with the rule on the spec sheets I mention earlier, since the new cable have the R/L logos on the inside while plugged 'my way' (judging by the cable curve) unknowing it was wrong or right.

Then I moved on with my life and use it for a couple of day, but something doesn't feel right. So I tried A/B testing the old cable vs the new cable, and I noticed this little straight slope on the 2 pin connectors, compared it between both cables and it turns out I was putting it on the wrong way the whole time using the new cable. The slope (or whatever this called) should be facing outside. And both of my cable is the same, the slope is in line with the R/L logo, its the cable curve that fooled me. The right one curve away from my earlobe and so is the left one.
And yes, while using the new cable 'wrongly' the SC is awful yet kinda subtle it took me 2 days to realize.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 4
No risk of damage, but as you experienced, having inverted connection can sound very bad (out of phase).

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 4
If i am not wrong but do correct me if i am wrong, normally the pin facing the back of the head is connected -, or ground and the pin toward face is hot, +. With that use a multimeter to determine the correct way to insert it...
Agreed that it wont cause issue but sound wise will be weird as it is out of phase...but not sure abt balance armature..

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 4
  No risk of damage, but as you experienced, having inverted connection can sound very bad (out of phase).

You have no idea how relieved I am...Thanks!

If i am not wrong but do correct me if i am wrong, normally the pin facing the back of the head is connected -, or ground and the pin toward face is hot, +. With that use a multimeter to determine the correct way to insert it...
Agreed that it wont cause issue but sound wise will be weird as it is out of phase...but not sure abt balance armature..

My iem, its a hybrid of 2 BA and 1 dynamic.., but you unsure about SQ right? not the damage it can cause to specifically BA or dynamic driver? sorry if I sound paranoid because this is an honest mistake and I don't think I could get a warranty out of them if it's damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back