Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente ... Can it compete ?
Jan 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

downsize

Member of the Trade
After reading Skylab's review of this product, it leaves me wondering if it can compete with other SS amps under $1000 ? Amps such as the Graham Slee Solo, B-22 and GS-1 ?
If so, it would be a KILLER deal at only $400 .... Any thoughts ?

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... Skylab's review is one thing but it doesn't mean you're going to like it. Everyone seems to be looking for a giant killer.

Agreed - thats the Head-Fi way ....
evil_smiley.gif

To the OP, there is another $400 amp just around the corner that promises to exceed all our expectations of what $400 will buy you in a headphone amp. At least thats the hype, and I believe every golden word of it.

Now that I have sown the seeds of doubt in your mind, I shall retreat to my mountain lair, put on my wizard hat and cape and have a ginger beer.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading Skylab's review of this product, it leaves me wondering if it can compete with other SS amps under $1000 ? Amps such as the Graham Slee Solo, B-22 and GS-1 ?
If so, it would be a KILLER deal at only $400 .... Any thoughts ?

There are 2 amps you listed there (Beta22 and GS-1) that I don't think fall in the same class. I can tell you now that if the Caliente was even close to those 2 amps for the price, people would have emptied KICAS' stock.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 2 amps you listed there (Beta22 and GS-1) that I don't think fall in the same class. I can tell you now that if the Caliente was even close to those 2 amps for the price, people would have emptied KICAS' stock.

Go to Purity Audio's website ... EVERY AMP THEY HAVE IS SOLD OUT

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

To the OP, there is another $400 amp just around the corner that promises to exceed all our expectations of what $400 will buy you in a headphone amp. At least thats the hype, and I believe every golden word of it.

Now that I have sown the seeds of doubt in your mind, I shall retreat to my mountain lair, put on my wizard hat and cape and have a ginger beer.

You know, you suck for this ... LOL

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, you suck for this ... LOL

No he's awesome for it because the last line reminds me of this

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

What is this $400 be all amp that is around the corner?

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's called Schrodinger's Amp.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Judging by the gear in your sig, I dont think you will be needing it ....

The OP, on the other hand, may enjoy these direct quotes from the inventor of this hotly anticipated device:

For $399, you get
One of the best headphone amp in the world
One of the best 24bit/96Khz USB DAC
One of the best 24bit/192Khz SPDIF DAC
and a high performance preamp

I think there might be a set of steak knives for the first 100 orders, but dont quote me on that. I am so very close to handing over my credit card details, but the amp has been delayed by several months already and I'm anxious to see if it makes its current shipping date. If so, expect some photos and my priceless impressions in about 3 weeks time. Caliente, thy days are numbered in the land of $400 SS headphone amps !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 59
you must be referring to NuForce HDP?

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

you must be referring to NuForce HDP?

They are. I admit (hey, look at my sig) I'm eager for it as well, but estreeter is also (I think, I know I am) poking fun at the hype machine.

The best amp for the money is the one you haven't heard yet, and there is always something better, cheaper, with more value on the dollar coming out any day now, with brand evangelists crawling all over these forums dying to tell you about how this amp will turn your into HD800s and johnny walker black into blue to boot.

Just like Schrodinger's cat, it's there - and everything you hope it will be - until you open the box.

All the same, I think the sound you hear & enjoy today is better than imaginary sound from the next big thing. (unless you can be totally happy imagining music in your mind, in which case, congratulations about your wallet!)

[size=xx-small](I might be new here, but I think I've learned a couple things already...)[/size]

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are. I admit (hey, look at my sig) I'm eager for it as well, but estreeter is also (I think, I know I am) poking fun at the hype machine.

The best amp for the money is the one you haven't heard yet, and there is always something better, cheaper, with more value on the dollar coming out any day now, with brand evangelists crawling all over these forums dying to tell you about how this amp will turn your into HD800s and johnny walker black into blue to boot.

Just like Schrodinger's cat, it's there - and everything you hope it will be - until you open the box.

All the same, I think the sound you hear & enjoy today is better than imaginary sound from the next big thing. (unless you can be totally happy imagining music in your mind, in which case, congratulations about your wallet!)

[size=xx-small](I might be new here, but I think I've learned a couple things already...)[/size]

Friend, I can name several board members who have been here for many moons and still havent grasped the points you have made so eloquently. Few of us are immune to the hype machine, but I shake my head when I read posts from people contemplating sending a perfectly good piece of kit back for a refund to fund the next FOTM. Those who target Head-Fiers specifically must surely budget for this, and that has to be factored into the prices we all pay - no such thing as a free lunch.

The other side of the FOTM coin is inflated expectations and buyers remorse : as HPA recently pointed out in his portable amp thread, we need to actually take the time to read the specifics of a review instead of focussing on the last paragraph/arbitrary rankings. The OP might prefer a clinical, detailed presentation at the expense of some warmth, while I like a warm, musical sound signature - its unlikely that the same gear will make us both 100% happy.

estreeter

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 59
Fellow headfiers, I'm not new to the high end audio world or the great cans of snake oil therein. I've been doing this for 24 years.

Having said that, I just had to experience the horror of storing my beloved hi fi system, and having to exchange said system for the world of headphones ... Of which I am a ignorant newbie.

Having said that, I seriously NEED to get some quality gear to satisfy my jonesing ... I need my fix. Now, I simply DO NOT have the time to wait for a big meet where I can audition and form my own opinions, nor do I have the money to just buy ten of everything and test it all out. So when I buy, I need to buy something that will do what I need it to do. What I need it do is to correctly play THE MOST DIFFICULT music to ever challenge a playback system, and that is fast metal. ( I own over 500 classical CD's, so please don't go there ). I'm sure most decent desktop amps will sound great with most other types of music, but with complex metal most amps fall on their face.

So I need the experienced ones experience when reccomending products. I need the best advice, and I appreciate it when someone knowledgable takes the time to care.

I'm only buying ONE amp, and I need it to be right for me.

Thanks for you help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back