Pure Silver vs. Silver Plated Copper
Sep 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KarateKid

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a 1/8 mini to 2x RCA cable. Is there any reason to spend more money through buying an IC made with pure silver rather than a copper cable that is silver plated?

Who should I get such ICs from? Are there any DIY'ers here that can do a good job?

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a 1/8 mini to 2x RCA cable. Is there any reason to spend more money through buying an IC made with pure silver rather than a copper cable that is silver plated?

Who should I get such ICs from? Are there any DIY'ers here that can do a good job?

well according to the current "cable theory" a copper cable will offer a more tub-like-sound (warmer and deeper) and the silver coated will be more detail oriented and won't turn green under the jacket. Weather you will see an audible difference in your setup is up for grabs. I usually subscribe to the largest money on the main components in your system make the greatest impact theory. Cables come second or third to me.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 7
The only practical difference between copper and silver is that when both oxidize, the silver still conducts electricity well, while the copper oxide doesnt. Thats why some people put solder on the copper cable tips that go into the amp and speakers. Besides that, both metals are very good conductors with very low resistance. Get a thick cable and be done with it.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 7
I find Silver to be guite bright and analytical. clean and powerfull and probably best for Solid Stae applications..

I find copper to warm and "Tube Like". and of course it is more readilly availl. and cheaper.

I find that SPOFC to have a touch of brightness over the straight copper but still not like pure silver.

I say this base on making identical DIY connectors with all three materials, using both solid state and tube sources.(LOD, and 3.5 to 3.5 IC)

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only practical difference between copper and silver is that when both oxidize, the silver still conducts electricity well, while the copper oxide doesnt.

And that in itself is pretty much irrelevant unless you're talking about mechanical connections as it's only a surface issue.

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back