Purchasing iPod Classic, need help finding model suitable with equipment
Aug 26, 2013 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ypana3

New Head-Fier
So my Sansa Clip+ started... acting up not too long ago, so long story short I need a new PMP. I'm looking to upgrade from the Clip+ into maybe an iPod classic, for the line-out capability and storage capacity, but I'm stuck between the 5th gen and 6/7th gen iPods. Is the Wolfson DAC really that much better than the Cirrus one? Through my research, I have found that the Wolfson DAC has a more pleasant warm and rich timbre, whereas the Cirrus DAC is more accurate and detailed. I know this much already, but I want to know which will work better with my equipment. My headphones are the AKG Q701 paired with the FiiO E12 amp, and I listen to every single genre out there. Will there even be much difference between the two if I line out? I don't care about aesthetics (I bought a Clip+ for crying out loud), weight, size, screen (again, Clip+), but good battery life would be nice. I am unfamiliar with iPods so all help is appreciated.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 12
The question about Wolfson versus Cirrus must be one of the most asked questions about media player DACs. On my iPod Touch 4G I actually quite like the Cirrus DAC with IEMs but not so much with full size headphones. The iPod gives a similar sound with IEMs that my S:Flo2 gives with Sennheiser full size headphones within the limitations that IEMs impose. When I used to have a Classic 5G I much prefered the sound quality through Sennheiser HD555 to the 6G I later acquired. With IEMs the difference was less and many modern players are optimised for IEMs. Your headphones are rather expensive open backed full sized ones so the iPod Classic 6G won't sound great. An improvement for your headphones would be a 5G if you need capacity and Apple's interface. Alternatively you could go for Fiio's X3 as long as the compromises involved in a low cost hi-fi player aren't a problem to you. At 10 hours the battery life is low (as is the 5G Classic) and this is with a large battery. The X3 has one of Wolfson's finest DACs in the WM8740 which has been used in other hi-fi players and CD players. The X3 has 8GB which is lowish capacity (you can expand with microsd cards) and can play high resolution files. Another option might be to utilize the rockbox firmware on a 5G or to have the iMod circuitry modification which is fairly expensive.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 12
I will take the 5th.  Here is why:

1. Sound difference is minor in my opinion
  2. much easier to rockbox a 5th than a 6th or 7th
  3. cheaper

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 12
There is a difference. I recently purchased a 160GB Classic but for years an iPod Video was my main DAP with immeasurable hours of use. The Classic is definitely more detailed and analytical  vs. the warmer sound of the iPod Video. I just Rockboxed the IPV which was absurdly simple. I like both sound signatures but they are noticeably different.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, I know the whole "Wolfson vs Cirrus" thing has been discussed to death. I was just wondering which one would work better with my headphones. So now I know the Classic 5th gen is better for me, but is the line out function going to be better than the FiiO X3 straight from the headphone jack? I do plan on rockboxing it anyway (I hate iTunes and my whole library is in .flac which I rip from CDs).

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Yeah, I know the whole "Wolfson vs Cirrus" thing has been discussed to death. I was just wondering which one would work better with my headphones. So now I know the Classic 5th gen is better for me, but is the line out function going to be better than the FiiO X3 straight from the headphone jack? I do plan on rockboxing it anyway (I hate iTunes and my whole library is in .flac which I rip from CDs).

Line out wise I think so, and if you want to pay $200 for the FiiO X3, then you may just as well pay $240 for the iBasso DX50.  I looked into rockboxing my classic, but it isn't officially supported, plus I already have a F807 and AK120 so I don't really need to do it.  I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 12
Wow,The X3 has one of Wolfson's finest DACs in the WM8740 which has been used in other hi-fi players and CD players. The X3 has 8GB which is lowish capacity (you can expand with microsd cards) and can play high resolution files.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 12
The DAC alone doesn't make the DAP you know.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

Although the DAC is a big part of it, implementation of the curcuit is another very important part.  You can have the best chip in the world, but if you put it on a crappy designed circuit, you will still end up with crap in the end.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Although the DAC is a big part of it, implementation of the curcuit is another very important part.  You can have the best chip in the world, but if you put it on a crappy designed circuit, you will still end up with crap in the end.

Ahh fair enough. I assume it'd be quite difficult to just be able to tell whether the circuitry is well designed or not. Anyway the 30GB storage of the 5G might be a problem for me.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Ahh fair enough. I assume it'd be quite difficult to just be able to tell whether the circuitry is well designed or not. Anyway the 30GB storage of the 5G might be a problem for me.

I remember there are quite a few SSD/CF cards DIY trend for the iPod and you should check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back