Purchasing Headphones
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CharlesBroccoli

New Head-Fier
So I'm thinking about getting new headphones and I've been researching for a while, but I need some feedback/recommendations to point me in the right direction so I can make a final decision. I want over the ear phones somewhere in the $250-$350 price range. I don't care about noise canceling and they aren't for studio use. I just want something for casual listening at the computer and travelling with my ipod/iphone, but I want killer sound! I love music and it's important that I get a good mid-range sound as well as bass and drums. I like a lot of types of music, but I listen to a lot of rock (classic, alt, prog, indie, grunge), acoustic, funk, and hip-hop.

Right now I'm kind of between:
- Sennheiser HD 589 (although they're ugly)
- Beyerdynamic DT 860 (seem like the best all-around phones for listening pleasure in my price range)
          - My roommates have the DT 770's, which I like, but those are drum recording phones, they've turned me on to Beyer though

Is one superior than the other? Does anyone have better suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Don't you mean DT880? Since you also misnumbered the HD598 :wink:

If traveling is part of its intended use: get a closed one! Better for you and your neighbors. DT770 would be nice, good sound and isolation. Since you have heard these, like them but are still in doubt: what's holding you? That would be useful information for further suggestions.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Haha yes I meant HD 598, but I haven't seen the Beyer DT880s, I've just seen 860s on their website... http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure.html.

The only reason I didn't want the 770s was because they're studio phones and I figured they wouldn't be as good as other options for every day use. Is that a wrong assumption?

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 7
DT770's are good sounding headphones and well regarded in their price-range so no need to be unnecessarily audiophile :wink:. The PRO version is meant for studio and clamps a bit more, but there is also a 'normal consumer' version that is basically the same except for the clamping.

For a first (?) headphone I think it's best to go with something well known, the DT770 would fit that, so you have a decent basis to read up for further upgrades. Know what they sound like and comparisons actually become useful...
If this a serious attempt at one headphone to pass a few years (good luck :wink:): try to listen to some yourself. No amount of reading head-fi beats that. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 7
What did you use, how did you like it and what would you like to see improved?

Try looking for: (insert old heaphone) vs (insert interesting headphone)
Tons of comparisons around.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
So I'm thinking about getting new headphones and I've been researching for a while, but I need some feedback/recommendations to point me in the right direction so I can make a final decision. I want over the ear phones somewhere in the $250-$350 price range. I don't care about noise canceling and they aren't for studio use. I just want something for casual listening at the computer and traveling with my iPod/iPhone, but I want killer sound! I love music and it's important that I get a good mid-range sound as well as bass and drums. I like a lot of types of music, but I listen to a lot of rock (classic, alt, prog, indie, grunge), acoustic, funk, and hip-hop.

Right now I'm kind of between:
- Sennheiser HD 589 (although they're ugly)
- Beyerdynamic DT 860 (seem like the best all-around phones for listening pleasure in my price range)
          - My roommates have the DT 770's, which I like, but those are drum recording phones, they've turned me on to Beyer though

Is one superior than the other? Does anyone have better suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Does your computer have an add-on sound card? or are you using the motherboard's built in audio?

Have you thought about getting cheaper close headphones for traveling (iPod/iPhone), but spend most of the cash on open headphones for use with the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back