Purchasing HD 238's, will a Fiio E5 improve the sound?
Nov 16, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 238's soon and I was wondering if the Fiio E5 portable amp will make any difference in sound from just using an ipod touch 2g. I've read some people say that there is some distortion on these when the volume is turned up. I'm not looking to purchase an expensive amp right now, I'm just wondering if the Fiio would be worth ordering along with the 238's or if it just isn't powerful enough and not really worth it.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 5
Yeah, these do have quite a bit of distortion at higher levels...(I bought some for my GF) the E5 will help because all it really does is increase the low-end and volume.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't think the E5 will make a huge difference in sound quality other than increasing the bass, but the 238 already has good enough bass, I would probably look into getting a different amp.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Coincidentally I sometimes use HD238s from an iPod Touch 2g and while the Touch will drive them OK, I prefer it with an E5. The Touch doesn't have a lot of driving power and the little help the E5 provides is, well, helpful.

That said, I'm looking forward to the arrival of my Fiio E1 which should make for a less awkward package than the E5 does.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, you'll get wider soundstage & more controlled bass, but it's not so significant. Senns are OK sounding straight out of any good DAP - tried it with 1st gen nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back