Purchasing advice
Dec 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kobra

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I could use some help in deciding what to get for my PC-based setup. I'm currently using one desktop PC (high end gamin/power PC) with a Asus Sonar DX PCI-express sound card and a set of d'feldt Audioengine 2 active speakers. My portable setup consists of a Lenovo S10 Netbook with a onboard RealTek HD soundcard ( ALC269 codec) and a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000 professional DJ headphones.

I've noticed that I'm using the hedphones more and more as I don't want to upset my fiance with loud music
darthsmile.gif
The Lenovo netbook is actually a very good base for a portable high-end music station, I've upgraded my HDD to a 500gb version so that I can take my entire flac music collection with me. I'm running Foobar with the WASAPI output component (on both PC's).

Now, I can't decide if I should get a set of new cans or a combined USB DAC/amp
confused_face_2.gif

The HDJ-1000 is quite good sounding, a touch dark maybe. They are easy to drive from either the laptop or a iPod as they have a Impedance of 40 Ohm. They have excellent sound isolation as they are designed to work for a professional DJ working in a loud environment.

I've tested the Sennheisr HD650, AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Ultrasone HFI680 and the Denon AH-D2000. The headphones were all connected to my laptop so that I could listen to familiar music. As I tried them in a local hi-fi store I had the chance of using a headphone amp between the PC and the headphones.

Of these headphones I liked the Denons the most as I prefer a closed headphone, of course the Sennheisers sounded great as well - but I don't think they'd be good for me as they're a open design and that they require a amp to work
frown.gif
I even tried the Denons without a amp and I must honestly say that the difference were minimal ( but noticeable). But, I don't think they sounded that different from my HDJ-1000, a bit more clearer and a bit more airy - but not by "oh-my-good-I-blew-my-head-away"...

So, should I keep my HDJ-1000 and spend my $ on a small and portable usb DAC/amp or should I get the Denons? I do think I'll end up with both a dac and a set of new cans eventually - but not at the same time.

All my music is ripped with EAC and converted to flac, I also spend quite a lot of money (to much?) on HDtracks.com 24/96 recorded music. My preference in music is contemporary jazz and female jazz singers, but I'm known to swallow most music as long as it's good music (...and jazzy
tongue_smile.gif
)
beerchug.gif

Kind regards,

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 6
You'll definitely hear a big difference if you go shopping for DACs. It's amazing what those A2s can do for the size and money, and they just keep sounding better with decent cable and a good DAC.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 6
hm, I clearly need to find a local retailer so I can try out some DAC's
dt880smile.png

Given my current set of headphones I can't say that I notice any major difference between my desktop PC and my netbook. I honestly have to say that the little bugger ( the Lenovo S10) has blown me away - such a extreme good value for money! The on board RealTek soundcard is good enough to serve you while you're away from home. It's also very well built and stands head and shoulder above the rest of the current netbook offerings from Asus, MSI, Acer and the rest... The Lenovo is the only netbook who has a PC-express card slot, perhaps the Echo Indigo DJx or the IOx could be a nice alternative to a external usb dac/amp?

I guess most of the performance similarities lies in the fact that I use Foobar and WASAPI on both of them ( that's my theory)

I'd really like to get both a good DAC/headphone amp combo as well as the Denon AH-D2000 at the same time, but my missus would kill me if she found out...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 6
256kBps MP3s via Lenovo s10e (with RealTek HD Audio deactivated) > foobar2k > ASIO4ALL > USB > RSA Predator > Senn HD595

sounds pretty damn good to these not-too-discriminating ears, if that's any help at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back