Purchasing a new soundcard or just need an amp?
Jan 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hlhowns

New Head-Fier
My computer is my media supply.  Movies, TV, Music(EDM, RAP),Gaming Football etc... I am about to purchase a home theater system and was wondering if a new sound card would be a good idea along with an amp to feed into a receiver. or would an amp and a receiver be redundant?    

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 9
No need for an amp. If your computer has optical or HDMI out, you should be able to just connect to an AVR with a cable.

What kind of HT setup are you getting?

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
No need for an amp. If your computer has optical or HDMI out, you should be able to just connect to an AVR with a cable.
What kind of HT setup are you getting?

Agreed, HDMI from the graphics card to the A/V receiver would be the preferred connection.
S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) from the motherboard to the AVR would be second best.

If the A/V receiver you get has 6-channel analog input, the an Xonar DX or D1 sound card, using 6-channel analog connection might(?) offer better audio quality.
Depends on the DACs used in the receiver, which is very hard to find out as they are rarely listed anywhere and removing the receiver's cover might void any warranty.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 9
most likely polk audio TSi floor speakers and some bookshelf speakers with denon receiver and havent figured a woofer yet!

Before you buy any TSi speakers, be sure to check Newegg. They have some Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II, which the TSi series is only a cosmetic upgrade over the Monitor II. And now Newegg has some new Monitor line which is a minor upgrade. Usually Newegg has the best prices. Check their latest email page for promo codes.

What kind of sub are you thinking about?

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 9
not really sure about a sub woofer, there are a lot out there! do you recommend any?

Depends on your budget. The BIC F12 on Amazon is a good choice for about $200, then the Klipsch RW-12d for $300 to $350 at Newegg (goes on sale for $300 seems like at least once a month). But there are even better subs from there as you go up in price. Those are 12" subs. If your room size is small, you might could get away with a 10".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back