Purchasing a new set-up! Need help, suggestions, and advice.
Jun 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

btsgreg

Head-Fier
I am pretty new to the headphone scene, so while I've perused the forums quite a bit, I'm still having trouble deciding on what to purchase. I'll be listening to music using my computer as a source, so I will need advice on how to do that. It sounds like I'll need a USB/DAC, correct? What do these cost, and is there much variation in DACs? Suggestions on where to purchase one of these as well as what I can expect to pay would be great.

Previously, I owned a pair of HD595s and while I really enjoyed them, they lacked severely. I felt that the open design really caused them to lack in the bass department. They felt really weak, and I believe this might because I didn't have them properly driven; they were simply plugged into the back of my computer. This time around I want to do something that is a step up from the 595s, as well have my new headphones properly driven. I don't really listen to particularly bassy music, but I would like a decent/tight bass response. I am heavily leaning towards a closed design for stronger bass, although I'm not too excited about a tinier soundstage. I really did enjoy that about the 595s. Do I just need to properly drive an open design to get the correct bass response? I listen to a multitude of varied genres, but I would say most of the music I listen to would be in the mid-range area.

As far as an amp goes, I would obviously like something that will pair well with the headphones. I've seen the Little Dot series get plenty of mention and they seem like a good choice to go with. 

The Little Dot MK II -
http://littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=816&sid=05164f3fc57931a3fdc85f01d460ba7b

I've come to this decision because they seem to be very well-rounded, get plenty of positive mention, and they are in my price-range. 

I would like to spend about ~$400 for the entire set-up. Like I mentioned, I don't know a whole lot and I would love to hear suggestions, comments and advice! If you need to know anything else, I'll respond as soon as I can!

Thanks, Head-Fi!

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 9
i'd say you'd definitely enjoy the Denon D2000's.

and what kind of sound card are you using?

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 9
If your computer isn't a laptop, easy. Get the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and pair it with the Audio Technica AD900s. Done :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the responses thus far!

I'm using the audio ports that are built-in with my Nvidia 780i motherboard, though I have been thinking about a soundcard upgrade for a while now....

What about the DT770s? Would they pair well with a Little Dot MK II?

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 9
look into the Asus Xonar Essence sound card, Auzentech and HT Omega Claro sound cards.

Dac's are pretty much like a sound card and you shouldn't buy an amp just yet.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 9
If you're going to do most of your listening through your computer then you should go for a sound card. Some people here use CD players so a DAC+Amp would bring out the best for them.

I bought the DV 3322 amp and naively believed that the change in sound would be night and day but I was wrong. I have not logged more than 20 hours of burn in time for the amp because my sound card does everything an amp is supposed to do. And my sound card has swappable op-amps that allows you to change the sound signature much like tube rolling an amp.

I'd say you should buy your audio equipment piece by piece. If you still have your 595's, buy a sound card.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If you're going to do most of your listening through your computer then you should go for a sound card. Some people here use CD players so a DAC+Amp would bring out the best for them.

I bought the DV 3322 amp and naively believed that the change in sound would be night and day but I was wrong. I have not logged more than 20 hours of burn in time for the amp because my sound card does everything an amp is supposed to do. And my sound card has swappable op-amps that allows you to change the sound signature much like tube rolling an amp.

I'd say you should buy your audio equipment piece by piece. If you still have your 595's, buy a sound card.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I no longer have my 595s, but it looks as though I will still be purchasing a sound card. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back