Purchased Zen Vision: M Yesterday, Returned today.
Feb 17, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I've pretty much decided that I am buying a legit copy of XP Pro. This has been on my to-do list since I built my computer. How much can I get it for? Newegg.com has an OEM version for $137.99. Can I use that or do I have to buy the retail package? Secondly, I need to figure out how to store my music and other files while reformatting. I have all my progs, media, and documents on one partition of my hard drive and there's another small partition for the OS. Can I just reformat that partition?

Do you need the extra features of Pro? you can save yourself a fair amount with home. It's getting close to vista time, but it will likely be much cheaper to get an "upgrade" version if history is an indicator.....so maybe you want pro anyway.

The OEM is fine and legit, the biggest (only?) issue is in cases of massive technical problems and MS needs to be contacted they may very well tell you tough..talk to the OEM for support.

You don't need to fully blow the old one away, you should be able to reinstall over it, also no need to wreck your other partition either.

Head over to the forums on anandtech.com and ask for specifics on how to make this easy on yourself

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 30
i'm sorry to hear that you had to return the Vision M due to that dilemma, as others have stated there are many ways of obtaining Windows XP Pro with Service pack 2
bittorrent being one of them or P2P networks

it seems a lot of people had trouble installing the software or getting their PC to recognized the device, if you got problems go over to the Creative Forums they are really helpful there

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EscaBoi
i'm sorry to hear that you had to return the Vision M due to that dilemma, as others have stated there are many ways of obtaining Windows XP Pro with Service pack 2
bittorrent being one of them or P2P networks

it seems a lot of people had trouble installing the software or getting their PC to recognized the device, if you got problems go over to the Creative Forums they are really helpful there

I've prided myself on not owning illegally downloaded music, movies, or any other media for that matter for a long time. But I was deluding myself to the fact that my OS was not legit, and that's just as bad (or worse) than owning pirated music, movies, ect. I meant to buy windows from the start, it was just very convienient to get it from a buddy the day I put all the pieces together. So buying XP is what I'm doing, thanks for all your help guys.

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 30
rules people, read the rules please, they are even sticky for the lazy
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 30
I've downloaded the service pack about 20 times. It even works with Windows Update. The blockage that happens is about 3/4 of the way through the actual INSTALLATION from the downloaded package. It checks the license key and somehow detects that it's not real thus stopping the installation. It's doesn't matter any more, I just bought XP anyways.

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I've downloaded the service pack about 20 times. It even works with Windows Update. The blockage that happens is about 3/4 of the way through the actual INSTALLATION from the downloaded package. It checks the license key and somehow detects that it's not real thus stopping the installation. It's doesn't matter any more, I just bought XP anyways.

google would of saved you a hefty amount of change then again you cant really put a price on chastity =D

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 30
The thread title is misleading. The problem is user error not the player. i suppose it's still a fault for the player since it's so dependent upon OS parameters. that being Win XP only. it probably still covers a large group of average consumers anyway.

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #25 of 30
I didn't mean to mislead anyone, and I didn't mean to make this a discussion on illeagal copies of operating systems. I was just expressing my frustration with the fact that I couldn't use my $350 player when I got home. It was my fault. Now I'm going to buy windows, then after I get a little more coin back in the bank buy the ZVM again.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #26 of 30
that's too bad. I'm interested in this player. Not to purchase it or anything, but I just want to know how it compares to the 5G iPod.
My first mp3 player ever was a 5GB Zen Micro. I've always kind of held an interest in Creative still, now owning Apple products.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 30
buy the oem win xp pro. There is no earthly reason to buy the packaged version. It ain't rocket science to install the os. And if something goes wrong, just to a reinstall.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #30 of 30
MediaMonkey (www.mediamonkey.com) supports the ZVM, and MediaMonkey runs under Window 2000 and maybe even Win98. The question would be whether the ZVM is supported on those platforms... I don't have a Windows 2000 machine handy to try it out but perhaps someone who does can give this a try and let us know...

If it works and you can access the ZVM with MediaMonkey under Windows 2000 then the WinXP limitations go away (unless you want to mess with DRM-crippled tracks and subscription services... those 'features' probably require WinXP.)

BTW for those who do have WinXP... I posted a mini-review of the ZVM here as well as some follow-up discussion by others. The short synopsis is that in spite of the title of this thread I don't think you'll be returning the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back