Purchased ad700.Too much in mids&highs, not enough bass. help plz
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that sound that you describe is what people call audiophille quality or clarity. It's same with DT880 and K701. As someone here already mentioned "untrained" ear can have problem to absorb so much detail in mids & specially highs and bass balanced with rest of spectrum. You will probably like more some warm headphones.

examples please. thx

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #17 of 121
HD650 for one, but you can kiss your budget goodbye
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
examples please. thx

I never heard them but people here describe HD600 & HD650 as warm sounding headphones... Maybe also D2000? (and lower Denon models) but I am not sure about it. There are people with much more experience that can give you better advice.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #19 of 121
I was actually able to exact a massive amount of bass from these headphones (without distortion) from a CmoyBB amp I DIY'ed. Whenever I ran my AD700's straight from my computer and cranked up the low freqs on my EQ, it would distort, but after plugging it into the CmoyBB, no distortion, and LOADS of bass.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guy has listened to these phones for all of 30 minutes and you are already suggesting new phones?
confused.gif

Why not? If he is not happy with bass why not get something with more bass. Seems like common sense to me. It doesn't even have to be 770 just something with a bit more bass.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 121
The bass of the AD700 is really source/amp dependent. On my laptop and PC they are way too bright sounding, with little to no bass.

I you want a more bass heavy but still reasonably balanced headphone look into the Beyerdynamic DT250 80 ohm (closed) or Beyerdynamic DTX800 (open).

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #22 of 121
You can use the rubber band trick. I was like you when I first got the AD700. Then after awhile my ears got used to them and I started to love them.

Then when I had a prelude I used OPA627 op-amps which helped enough.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #23 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually able to exact a massive amount of bass from these headphones (without distortion) from a CmoyBB amp I DIY'ed. Whenever I ran my AD700's straight from my computer and cranked up the low freqs on my EQ, it would distort, but after plugging it into the CmoyBB, no distortion, and LOADS of bass.

same here. by using a v shaped eq and liberal bass boost on an x-fi sound card i could get the ad700 to thump with bass. these headphones are very capable

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 121
jesus hardstyler can you please just get a job with beyerdynamic please? youve already got employee of the year from them, may as well make it official. ever thought he picked those AD700's because he DIDNT want the similarly priced beyers?
im not saying beyers are bad, ive never heard them, but not everyone wants beyers. i know your giving your advise, but sometimes it reads more like your flatly refusing to acknowledge any other headphone as good and saying the 770's beat all else within $200 price range.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #25 of 121
roosta, regardless of where he works imho the 770/80+AD700 would be a decent combo. There are some albums on my 770 that sounds just awful and with such a big difference between the two in terms of sound, why not?

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 121
Before you follow any advice about giving yourself enough time to "adjust your hearing," find out how much time you have. Get the return policy from wherever you bought the phones. You may always long for more bass. The AD700s are not strong in that department. I own them. I'm listening to them right now. I'm not guessing.

With that said, do you have access to eq? a 3 db bump at 60 - 65 hz will work wonders.

Tim

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #28 of 121
Cant you just use the EQ on the software for your soundcard or music player to increase the low-end frequencies? Im new to this, and wondering if that would work?

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 121
ok quick update before bed. plugged these phones into my fiancee's ipod while my zune was charging.

i do have a rubberband to tighten the grip a little more on my head.

ipod sounded 1000 times better than this laptop that i was on. The laptop for some reason makes these phones sound like ****. I tried all sorts of eq settings on this laptop.

Listening to the ipod with various eq settings i can get some more bass but it ruins the mids on the eq settings. on the rock setting the music sounds the best.

The zune sounded as good as the ipod but lacked the overall volume. Zune seems not to let you crank it at max volume.

Listening to dancing on the ceiling by lionel richie. start of the song the footsteps fade from upper right corner across head into left phone scared the **** out me. sounded like someone really did that in my house, lol

Burning in these now while i sleep.about 6 hrs

I now have a liking to these headphones. Wish i had some more bass in a few songs sure. but overall will give them more time to see if i want to keep them.

like i said eariler, going to play some CSS, TF2 this sunday over nephews to test the game aspect of these headphones.

My rig will be build come monday. Tues shopping around, hoping to come across a good audio store where i live to test a few more phones to make a small comparison.

g'night all for now.

thanks

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #30 of 121
Quote:

the 'good' was ment to be a joke.

Even if i give these a fair share of listening. How can that fix the lack of bass i crave in some songs? Can prolong use with these actually make the bass appear? would using the zune suffice till i get my PC build next week?

it has onboard sound for the moment evga x58

u dont have to compromise if u dont like absense of bass..

u can use FiiO E3 Amp (costs like $10) ..it gives a bass boost to bass shy headphones.

i used them with HD555 for sometime..and was impressed by the bass which didnt distort.

and when u get bored of such bass..u can remove it and enjoy musicality of AD700..clean mids basically.

Quote:

ipod sounded 1000 times better than this laptop that i was on. The laptop for some reason makes these phones sound like ****. I tried all sorts of eq settings on this laptop.

Listening to the ipod with various eq settings i can get some more bass but it ruins the mids on the eq settings. on the rock setting the music sounds the best.

The zune sounded as good as the ipod but lacked the overall volume. Zune seems not to let you crank it at max volume.

Listening to dancing on the ceiling by lionel richie. start of the song the footsteps fade from upper right corner across head into left phone scared the **** out me. sounded like someone really did that in my house, lol

Burning in these now while i sleep.about 6 hrs

I now have a liking to these headphones. Wish i had some more bass in a few songs sure. but overall will give them more time to see if i want to keep them.

like i said eariler, going to play some CSS, TF2 this sunday over nephews to test the game aspect of these headphones.

g'night all for now.

thanks

imo Laptop soundcard is the WORST source of sound ever one can have..the culprit is the cheap integrated soundcard that your laptop comes with...it suffers from lot of EM interference...and its not made for good sound quality.

if u wanna improve the sound...get an external USB based Soundcard or DAC .

u ll notice a vast improvement.

regarding the gaming ..i think u ll love the details..u ll be able to hear the footsteps of the enemy and where they are coming from in CSS.

(try to ambush the enemies at A-long in Dust2.
biggrin.gif
)

Happy Gaming!

enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back