Purchase ATH-M50 again?
Nov 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
The DT770, and especially the HFi780, are horrible suggestions if you want accurate sound.

The DT770 has bloated, slow bass.  The HFi780 has earbud-like (in quality) overexaggerated highs, and crappy, thumpy bass.

The topic creator specifically stated he quite liked the balance of M50's sonic signature.  With that, I don't see anything wrong with recommending other smiley-curved headphones him.  I personally quite hate the sound of a completely flat response on a headphone-- it takes speakers for me to appreciate a completely flat sound.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 24
Like I explained in your other thread OP, to easily resolve your M50 shallow pad issue, just place stuffing under the padding to increase pad depth, material choices include cotton balls(if you want less bass) / tape-rolls (if you want more bass).

Also, to "cheat" a little, if you want the most balanced sound sig ever, and if you listen exclusively through your computer, do parametric equalization OF your headphone (basically tailor a perfect equalization curve that negates all non-flat peaks and valleys in the headphone frequency response). Guide is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/tutorial-on-how-to-equalize-headphones

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Like I explained in your other thread OP, to easily resolve your M50 shallow pad issue, just place stuffing under the padding to increase pad depth, material choices include cotton balls(if you want less bass) / tape-rolls (if you want more bass).

Also, to "cheat" a little, if you want the most balanced sound sig ever, and if you listen exclusively through your computer, do parametric equalization OF your headphone (basically tailor a perfect equalization curve that negates all non-flat peaks and valleys in the headphone frequency response). Guide is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/tutorial-on-how-to-equalize-headphones

I tried the cotton ball stuffing technique, but it still hurts after a while since the cotton gets condensed. I already returned them anyway.

Also, thank you for that link, I've bookmarked it since it's pretty interesting. I'll try doing this on a new pair.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

I tried the cotton ball stuffing technique, but it still hurts after a while since the cotton gets condensed. I already returned them anyway.

Also, thank you for that link, I've bookmarked it since it's pretty interesting. I'll try doing this on a new pair.

Np. That guide saved me loads of money because it unmade my M50's and turned them into nearly perfectly balanced strange new headphones that won't need replacing for a long while (I honestly cannot bear the original M50's sound sig for more than 5 seconds now that I'm used to the parametrically equalized sound).

Oh and yeah I've never tried the cotton-ball stuffing, instead I used tape rolls (just cut out a 2-ft strip of electrical tape and roll it into itself into a thick flab), make like 12 of these and stuff em all around the inside of the pads. I've had em in for half a year now and they show no sign of compression/condensing, also they make the bass nice and meaty.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Np. That guide saved me loads of money because it unmade my M50's and turned them into nearly perfectly balanced strange new headphones that won't need replacing for a long while (I honestly cannot bear the original M50's sound sig for more than 5 seconds now that I'm used to the parametrically equalized sound).

Oh and yeah I've never tried the cotton-ball stuffing, instead I used tape rolls (just cut out a 2-ft strip of electrical tape and roll it into itself into a thick flab), make like 12 of these and stuff em all around the inside of the pads. I've had em in for half a year now and they show no sign of compression/condensing, also they make the bass nice and meaty.

I don't even know why they made the pads so shallow. It wouldn't even have cost that much extra to make them just a few centimeters deeper. :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I don't even know why they made the pads so shallow. It wouldn't even have cost that much extra to make them just a few centimeters deeper. :frowning2:

They didn't, fact is a lot of circumaural headphones have shallower cups than the M50's. You just have relatively inconvenient ear pinnas.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
 The HFi780 has earbud-like (in quality) overexaggerated highs, and crappy, thumpy bass.

Ear-bud highs? Crappy bass? I agree with the overexaggerated highs but Ultrasone is well known for its bass (and for some, the treble as well).

To OP, maybe you can try the AKG K240 or the K271, both are neutral with minimal coloration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back