Purchase advice for wireless over-ear headphones, from a list!
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aleex

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of wireless BT headphones, over-ear, possibly ANC, and I have come up with the following list based on prices, preference and availability in my country (Sweden). In general items are a bit pricier and less available here than in US, so try to take that into account if you make recommendations not from this list. My list:

Sony WH-XB900N - $180
Sony WH-H900N - $120 ($84 refurb.)
Sony WH-H910N - $180
Sennheiser HD 450BT - $160
JABRA Elite 85h - $180
Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT - $220
Panasonic RP-HD605 - $240
Possibly: more pricier options such as XM3, QC35 (~$300)...only if I can rule out the other ones!

Budget - spending smore than 200 USD would need some good motivation, not more than 300 USD.
Source/Amp - Spotify, smartphone & laptop. IIRC the max bitrate spotify puts out is 320 so I am not even sure if aptx and that kinda stuff is necessary?
How the gear will be used - Mostly in office/lab so it would be good if it has good passive isolation or active. I am not sure I will use them in the lab, but if I do, I don't want something that is very fragile or extremely expensive. Lab work also has a lot of machine humming and noises like that, would be nice to shut that out. I want something wireless for sure. I don't care much about call quality. Also, I wear glasses! I don't think I will be commuting with them a lot, not sure.
Preferred tonal balance - I think I prefer something fun compared to sterile.
Preferred music genre(s) - Indie/folk, pop, electronic, 80's, hiphop, rock, classical, in order of how much time I spent on each genre
Past gear experience - I think (can't remember lol, long time ago) I've had DT990 & DT770 and I liked them both. I have a Fidelio X1 (2013) and I think I liked DT990 & DT770 more, but that may be more due to comfort. For IEM's I barely even remember, my favs were a pair of JVC FXD70. Other than that mostly generic cheapo IEMs like Pioneer SE-CH3T, or maybe a chi-fi.
What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve?
I usually prefer to listen over speakers but obviously this is not a option in an office. So I guess, any headphone that resembles speakers in terms of sound and comfortability? No hassles with wire, no sweaty ears...at the same time, I like a good seal to shut out noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back