Cursed
Sabertooth Zombie
American Nightmare/Give Up the Ghost

I don't know any of those bands
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by migsev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good recommendations so far, but its a bit hard keeping track! So many good sounding bands! Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

if i were you, i'd skip the lists for now, and go with specific recommendations of albums.

even though there are some good bands that have been named, the lists that have been posted don't give you any specific information to go on to make an educated decision, so you'd still be picking randomly out of a hat.

go grab Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade, it's a double album, so it'll keep you busy for a bit. plus it's a masterpiece, so that should help.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #21 of 29
I take lists like that and type the bands out in last.fm and learn all I can and sometimes there'll even be a few tracks to listen to. If I can't decide on an album from there I'll ask on the shoutbox.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #22 of 29
Many have been mentioned, but I don't think I saw two of my favs:

Misfits
The Rollins Band

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i were you, i'd skip the lists for now, and go with specific recommendations of albums.

even though there are some good bands that have been named, the lists that have been posted don't give you any specific information to go on to make an educated decision, so you'd still be picking randomly out of a hat.

go grab Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade, it's a double album, so it'll keep you busy for a bit. plus it's a masterpiece, so that should help.

Oh, if that's the way we're gonna play it then here's my list again (with a little tweaking):

Some oldies but some goodies:
The Mob - Let the Tribe Increase
Zounds - The Curse of Zounds
Dirt - Never Mind Dirt Here's The Bollocks
Germs - (GI)
UK Decay - For Madmen Only
Ausgang - Last Exit... The Best Of Ausgang
Rudimentary Peni - Cacaphony
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
Killing Joke - Killing Joke
Amebix - Winter (This is a single. I'm not a huge Amebix fan but like some of their very early stuff.)
The Birthday Party - Hits
Theatre of Hate - Westworld
Crisis - Holocaust Hymns

Newish stuff that I like:
Blatz - Cheaper Than The Beer
Screeching Weasels - Kill the Musicians
Sixteens/The Vanishing - split 12"
Blaster the Rocketman - The Anatomy of a Monster
Headnoise - No Compromise
The Prids - Until The World is Beautiful
Subtonix - Tarantism
Lost Sounds - Black-Wave

Man, there's so much great stuff out there. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

May 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 29
The Riot Before (Melodic punk/Folk Punk)

Against Me! (before Reinventing Axl Rose is folk punk, after is fairly bland rock.)

Antischism (Hardcore w/ female vocals)

At The Drive-In (Fast emo w/ high punk influence)

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution (Tom Kalnoky's group before streetlight manifesto, acoustic communist inspired revolution skapunk is the only way to describe it)

Captain, We're Sinking (Melodic Punk, kinda emo vocals/lyrics)

Choking Victim (leftover crack is crap in comparison, lower-fi skapunk)

Defiance, Ohio (as folk punk as folk punk gets)

The Fad (NYC skapunk with a lot of energy)

The Flaming Tsunamis (Ridiculous novelty skametal at some times, but a few gems)

that's all for now.

May 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 29
I'm not as qualified to post here as I once was, but there are a few bands in this genre that I still actively listen to, and so should you!

Propagandhi: Today's Empires Tomorrow's Ashes, Potemkin City Limits, Supporting Caste

Their first two albums are decent enough, but it wasn't until they broke away from Fat Wreck Chords that they really became the powerhouse that they are now. Brilliant writing, lyrically and musically.

SNFU: Full discography is recommendable, but if you can tolerate live albums, "Let's get it Right the First Time" offers a great range of key tracks from their earliest days through their later albums, and it's a solid performance throughout. Art-house lyrics as delivered by a junkie hobo.

I really can't believe Pennywise hasn't been dropped yet. They became less relevant as the years went on, but "Unknown Road" is an outstanding album and a prime example of why American Punk music came back into the limelight in the early 90s.

You are presumably well aware of Bad Religion but you may not know that they still put a good album out every once in a while. "The Process of Belief" should be considered one of their best three albums, up there with Suffer, Against the Grain (yep) and No Control.

That's it for now. I've actively avoided this genre, once my favourite, for a solid decade. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, maybe a few gems I should take note of.

May 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 29
The staggers (sights sounds pain esp.)
gg allin(
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
crass (feeding 5000 esp.)
cock sparrer (all)
hudson falcons ( a good union working class punk band, they have a real message, try scab and working class war)

X2 on:
husker du
stiff little fingers (go for it esp.)
flogging molly
dropkick murphys
screeching weasles

cool.gif

May 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #27 of 29

I love punk rock with saxophone!

good lists above...
The Ex and The Dog Faced Hermans
great punk/damaged art rockers with some sax and trumpet .  The Ex are kinda like the Mekons but a bit more skronk-y and a bit less cowpunk-y.  Fr*ggin' great band! 
Just picked up Refused - The Shape of Punk To Come
amazing album...I came across orig. press vinyl but I think they've reissued the vinyl recently and the cd is still avail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back