Punk and Post Punk Guitarists of merit
May 20, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Will Sergeant - Echo and the Bunnymen

Greg Ginn - Black Flag

Robert Smith - The Cure

John McGeoch - Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees

Johnny Marr - The Smiths

Stuart Adamson - The Skids, Big Country

Bill Nelson - Red Noise (I'm not forgetting Be-Bop Deluxe just not punk or post-punk)

May 20, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Bob Mould (Hüsker Dü)

Dave Alvin (X)

Cheetah Chrome (Dead Boys)

East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys)

eD fROMOHIO (fIREHOSE)

May 21, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 7
joe strummer, clash
steve jones, sex pistols
bruce gilbert, wire

May 21, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 7
there might be legendary punk and post punk guitarists out there that deserves merit, but a guitarist friend of mine always says these guitarists are not very technically achieved, however they are innovative in finding their own playing styles in an uncompromising and untraditional way. i guess one can define it as "old school" and "new school." it's like you'll never see someone with a technical prowess like Eric Clapton actually compliment someone like Bernard Sumner... i know, poor analogy but that's the closest thing i can think of at the moment. anyway, with that said...

Will Sergeant - Echo and the Bunnymen
Bernard Sumner - Joy Division and New Order
John McGeoch - Siouxsie and the Banshees, Public Image Ltd.
The Edge - U2
Johnny Marr - The Smiths
Robert Smith - The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees: as much as i love Mr. Smith's work, the same guitarist friend mentioned above maintains that much of Robert's guitar work is decidedly simple (imagine the way he slags off Kurt Cobain!
eek.gif
), which i tend to agree on. Robert can play some mean 6 string bass solos though. Porl Thompson, who played with The Cure for quite a long time, is actually an estalished guitarist... one of the reasons why he quit The Cure was to play with his heroes Page and Plant.
Keith Levine - Public Image Ltd.

and some more recent guitarists:
Kevin Shields - My Bloody Valentine
Andy Bell - Ride (who now sadly plays bass for Oasis)
John Squire - The Stone Roses
Bernard Butler - Suede
Nick McCabe - The Verve
Brian Futter - Catherine Wheel
Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back