"Punchy" (not bassy) over ear heaphones
Jan 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 23
I tried to find a place where I could try the SR80e, but unsuccessfully. The stores that are selling them around here are online only.

I found a place where I can try the Beyerdynamics, the SoundMAGIC HP150 and the Ultrasone Performance 820. So I think I will just go there to try them first, before deciding anything.

I dunno where you live but in many countries Alessandros are offered as opposed to Grados....both are made by Grado,and offer very similar sound.

For your price I suggest looking for a Alessandro Ms1

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 23
I would recommend you to get the Bose Soundtrue II over ear, they have deep and punchy bass. You can probably demo them at a store.
Sadly, they might be over your budget. (they are €180 where I live)

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 23
@monsterzero unfortunetly I cannot find that model either.

I could find the model from Bose that @4567 suggested, but I didn't feel confortable with them.

The same thing happened with the Sennheiser Momentum on ear. I enjoyed the punchy sound from this model, although the sound was kind of messy during some tracks.

I found the Sony MDR-1A in the 100-130€ price range. I actually enjoyed the sound from them, without being perfect. How does this model compare with the others?

I think I will have the opportunity to test the Beyerdynamic DT770, Shure 840 and Ultrasone HFI-580 this afternoon. I hope it will help me decide.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #19 of 23
+1 for the Grados. I have the SR60 and the SR225, both are great cans. Energic, aggressive but non fatiguing, punchy controlled bass, AMAZING guitars and acoustic instruments, addicting vocals, sparkling highs. I LOVE how Grados sound, I just can't stop listening to them. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #20 of 23
Well, I can recommend you a pair of DT 770 / 32 ohm, if you want badass music straight out of your phone, no amp required, near perfect isolation and some of the best soundstage for closed cans. If you care for sound more, then you can forget about ath m50x as their only advantage over dt 770's is the more portable construction.

Other than that, don;t know what headphones can be better than the dt770's without costing considerable more. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #21 of 23
+1 on grado e variant. and maybe audio-technica ath-ws line. if you can find ws1100 at that price that would be great, but if not than go lower on the ath-ws lineup. another one, is the ath-sr5. i think they cost around 100. they have good lows surprisingly for their size. good sound overall, but downside is the small size.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #22 of 23
Thank you everyone for your help.

I kept trying to find the Grado SR80 or the Alessandro MS1 here in Portugal, but I didn't manage to do so.

I am thinking about ordering them online. Do you know any european online store that would allow me to return them and refund me the money if I am not happy with the purchase?

I managed to try the Beyerdynamics Custom Studio. They are at a nice price and I enjoyed them both in terms of confort and sound quality/signature. They seem to have a nice feedback here in the forum. What do you guys think?

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 23

I kept trying to find the Grado SR80 or the Alessandro MS1 here in Portugal, but I didn't manage to do so.

I am thinking about ordering them online. Do you know any european online store that would allow me to return them and refund me the money if I am not happy with the purchase?

Check out the Superlux HD330 on Thomann and see what the return policy is. It's basically the SR60 with a lot of low bass. Swap out the pads with velour Beyer pads and you'd tame a bit of the low bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back