PULSE wireless stereo headset - Elite Edition
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 38
You can always gently expand the headband by stretching it out a little bit.  This is what I did (I have a big head) and now can wear these forever as, like right now, which I had these on mmy head since last night!

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:
I have both of the Sony Wireless headsets, and they are both VERY good for use with the PS3.  I have used my ATH M50's and Turtle Beach X1's with my PS3 as well, and they simply do not compare with the Sonys for use with the PS3.  Gaming headsets are very specialized and need to be set up differently than music headphones.  The Pulse feature is not intended to "fake" bass tones and make it feel like the bass is deeper than it is.  It is not a gimmick.  It is intended to give the listener the sensation of what is happening in the game right there in their lap.  For instance, in the "shooter" mode, the Pulse headphones emphasize explosions, footsteps, etc with a pulsing of the earcups in addition to the sounds.  You FEEL the explosions as well as hear them...just as you would in real life.  These are not intended to compete with high end consumer music headphones.  They ARE intended to compete with high end gaming headsets, and they do that very well.

As a bonus, they do sound nice with music, especially if used wirelessly with a MacBook Pro, or while using the PS3's "Music Unlimited" service.  They do not have the clarity of the ATH M50's in the mid range or highs, but they aren't far off.  I think it's a generous bonus that my gaming headphones work as pretty decent music phones.  I didn't get them to rock with my iPhone on the commute to work; I got them to blast the enemy in Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

I do think these are improved in every way over the original Sony Wireless PS3 headset except for comfort.  The originals are lighter, and the headband is cushier.  For what it's worth, I'm keeping my originals instead of selling them.

My bottom line is if you are a PS3 gamer, don't waste your time or money with more expensive (or cheaper) Turtle Beach or Astro headsets because these will out perform them on the PS3.  If you are looking at these simply for music, I would recommend the ATH M50's for about the same money.

Try swapping out the cushions from your old Sony Wireless cans to the Pulses.  I did this and the old pads are a tad bigger so for me, I get a better seal and it's a noticeable difference, a positive one, in comfort.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #34 of 38
Well, I bought one of these and absolutely hated it. I sent it back after two days. I have been using a Mixamp with Denon D7000 headphones for over a year, but I thought I'd give this a shot so that I could go wireless and prolong the life of my Denons by not using them for gaming. It's unfair to compare the Pulse to a flagship headphone like my Denon so I also included my iPhone 5 EarPods in my comparisons. The bass impact was a poor gimmick that I didn't care for at all. The bass was muddy and overbearing and the extreme low end was lacking. The mids and highs sounded dull and lifeless. And the virtual surround wasn't half as good as Dolby Headphone. For music listening I give the Pulse a 4.5. I give the EarPods a 7, but that would be even higher if they fit a little tighter in my ears. The mids and highs sound unbelievably good for headphones included with a phone. The bass is pretty good and would be very good with a tighter seal. If you've only heard the old round style iPhone/iPod headphones, these are on another level. A huge improvement. The Denons get a 9.5.

Here is a photo of the EarPods in case you're not familiar with them.

Over the years I've also used some cheap $30 Koss headphones, Shure E3C and E500PTH IEMs and some $60 Sennheisers. They all sounded much better than the Pulse Elite. If you can live with the wires, get a Mixamp or Tritton with Dolby Surround and the headset or headphone/mic combo of your choice. 

One more thing. The clamping force is too great. I would definitely have found these to be unsuitable for long sessions.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #35 of 38
I'm considering purchasing these headphones, mainly for ps3, but also for TV and maybe even portable use (plane trip).

I'm assuming for tv use they will be analog / stereo, do they still sound ok?

My main concern is that they look quite bulky? Does anyone use them outside of the house?

Thanks

May 6, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #37 of 38
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG /img/forum/go_quote.gif 

I'm mildly curious about a different PS3 wireless headset.

I wouldn't run out and buy one, but on the off chance I get one bundled with a PS3, part of me wonders if it's worth keeping around or selling off, and particularly how its brand of surround sound compares to Dolby Headphone. (Many people say the directional cues aren't as pronounced, but I'll be the judge of that.)

Interestingly, the way Sony seems to do it with their headsets is that it's actually mixed by the PS3 (hence why the surround option seems to be affected by firmware updates) before being piped out to the headset. Makes me wonder if they're working on improving the HRTF mix and possibly even offering a proper binaural mix down the road instead of settling for just virtual 7.1.

And as for the PULSE model, that BassImpact gimmick already sounds repulsing and undesirable. If you're gonna offer deep bass, offer sub-bass tones reproduced with authority and clarity that don't drown out the rest of the spectrum, not a skull-rattling headshaker. (Yeah, probably asking way too much out of a gaming headset there.)

Obviously these headphones will NOT outperform a good amp running to a top dollar set of headphones.  I have a beautiful older set of grado sr325is and they are magnificent to my ears.  They remain connected to my home stereo now-a-days because the cable is too thick, the set is too heavy and the balance is terrible for games pluse its got no microphone...  I understand that and accept that my grados fill a very specific role in my life.  They are not my walkarounds, they are not my computer headphones, they are not my go to bed headphones, they are my music listening and enjoyment headphones.

As for the Pulse setup, I just got them.  Mostly due to this thread but also due to my lack of confidence in game gear manufacturers.  Ive bought too much stuff lately that cant live past the 6 month mark.  150$ mice, gaming headsets whos cords fail, keyboards for over 350$ and it all breaks.  I figured as much as I really hate sony for its proprietary methodology (no better or worse than apple) but felt their headphones might be of better build quality & reliability than some of the game specific companies I've been buying from (Razer, Logitect, & most notably MadCatz..  a special hate is in my heart for mad catz).  I also like the looks.

As for my experience with these headphones so far they are pretty good.  My first thought was that they were Bass light and very high range...  which they are compared to the Razer Blackhawks I had prior that sounded decent but very very warm and soft and bass heavy.  These on the other hand are very precise antiseptically clean but really have very good sound quality.  Much better than i expected, what they lack in quality of sound they make up for with sound placement.  Very nice soundstage.  The virtual surround is nice too. Trying both on and off gives notably different results.  Not perfect, but pretty awesome.  Great for music with lots of separation...  listening to billy joel right now and the instruments are all virtually dancing around my head.  Another nice quality is the comfort.  With a battery, amp and all that other stuff crammed into the headset and the large stately look i thought they would be much heavier.  They wear easily and feel light on the head.

As for the mic, there isnt a boom mic and since i do tutorials a lot, this was of vital importance to me and was a returnable caveat should they not stand up.  Surprisingly it gives a much more reliable volume and quality than my past set.  If the boom moved a little my levels were blown up.  These seem to always record my voice the same way.  That is good for me, less editing and sound management.

Pulse Mode : Gimmick?  YES!  But please do bear in mind this headset is for games with lots of exploding things around.  Shut it off for music, turn it on for additional realism in a game.  Its weird at first but it really is cool when in an immersive 3D game environment.

The takeaway,  For 150 I am pleased I got them.  Clear good quality sound and recording, some very nice features (onboard volume, bass impact, mic-mute, various "modes", wireless, 7.1 surround and virtual surround (for stereo sources), sexy looking and very comfortable.  What more can one ask for?  I hate sony for the most part, but, i am happy with these headphones. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 38
Not much action in this thread anymore but I just picked up a pair of these today. I use momentum over ears into a turtle beach DSS for all my gaming but these always caught my attention for online play and convenience of wireless for the PS4. Price matched B&H at best buy for 90 and used a 40 dollar gift card. Really can't complain at all for 50 out of pocket. I'm letting them break in over night. Anyone have any recommendations for cable upgrades? I'll be using them wired on my X1 as well and heard chat does work plugged into the controller but have yet to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back