PULSE wireless stereo headset - Elite Edition
Jan 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 38
I've had the pleasure of testing the Pulse before and after it was out in the market.

To be quite honest, for $150 (it's $130 now)... it is going to be tough to find a better WIRELESS headset around for the PS3 (or the PC too in fact).
Now, the Pulse isn't geared towards competitive gaming because it is... all things considered, a closed headphone.

While the soundstage is pretty good for being closed, the VSS tech that Sony has in them just isn't that good. It's hard to notice where a source is coming from.
The VSS in the Pulse is definitely not Dolby Headphones or CMSS 3D, I know because I have soundcards on the PC which does do them and I've had experience with both virtual surround sound tech for a good long while (4+ years now).

However, for the general purpose of actually enjoying games, the Pulse impresses very well. The BassImpact is a gimmick by all means, but set it to a subtle 3rd or 4th notch and it is actually pretty fun to have. Just don't have it all the way beyond the 6th or 7th notch as then the vibrator motors gets too loud that you could actually HEAR them.
Actual bass on the headset is on the low side though, but I love how the mids and highs are on the Pulse. Clear and defined.

There is a trick to get more bass if you a glorified portable amp (I'm saying glorified, because I mean products like the TB DSS or Astro Mixamp). Because the USB receiver has a 3.5mm jack on it, you simply just need to supply it with power from a USB source then connect the amp to the USB receiver with a 3.5mm cable. Increase the bass on the amp, and MORE bass instantly!

One issue however is I think Sony lied on the impedence that the Pulse are rated for. For me personally, it just isn't loud enough. Perhaps it is not to kill the already subpar-battery it has, but connecting the Pulse to a cheap amp pretty much brings them to a whole new level that you'd be baffled by for paying $150. Not kidding.

The last other issue is the STUPID 2-piece headband Sony went with the Pulse. It's ridiculous.
The one piece design on the 1st gen wireless headset was fine and comfy, but because they had to go with this new style... the headband is uncomfortable for me, annoying in fact.

So that's about games,  what about music then?
I'm very much a ballad, kpop, rock, metal, and general otaku styled music listener (I know... jeez). I'm actually impressed with how well the Pulse sounded, if Sony were to sell the Pulse as headphones... I wouldn't complain at all. It's GOOD! Vocals are so important in ballad, and the Pulse trounces in them due to its balanced mids and highs. Bass is as I mentioned a little bit on the low side, but plug it into an amp... it would actually run its money with a M50.

For PC users, if you are decided to use this... use it in wired mode (the Pulse features a 3.5mm jack) into an amp or at least a soundcard with an amp. Then enable DH or CMSS 3D for your VSS needs. $150 (or rather, $130 now) isn't a bad deal really.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
While the soundstage is pretty good for being closed, the VSS tech that Sony has in them just isn't that good. It's hard to notice where a source is coming from.
The VSS in the Pulse is definitely not Dolby Headphones or CMSS 3D, I know because I have soundcards on the PC which does do them and I've had experience with both virtual surround sound tech for a good long while (4+ years now).

yeah, the more I listen, the more I agree that Sony's VSS is a few notches below Dolby Headphone.  I can tell where sounds are coming from, and it gets the job done for the most part, but it's not as immersive or easy to distinguish directions as DH.

I'd like to eventually try connecting an astro mixamp to the dongle for a wireless DH setup (turning Sony's VSS off, of course).

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

I'd like to eventually try connecting an astro mixamp to the dongle for a wireless DH setup (turning Sony's VSS off, of course).

If you do this, make sure you don't connect the dongle to the PS3 because if you do, there won't be sound.
The dongle needs to be powered somewhere else. I used my iPhone charger.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

If you do this, make sure you don't connect the dongle to the PS3 because if you do, there won't be sound.
The dongle needs to be powered somewhere else. I used my iPhone charger.

The 3.5mm input on the dongle worked just fine for me when I used the ps3 to power it.  Or are you saying the optical out still won't work if the dongle is plugged in no matter what?

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 38
Hmmm...

Because when I connected the dongle to the PS3 then a 3.5mm to my TB DSS, it didn't work. There was no sound at all because the dongle was trying to constantly pair with the headset... which is already paired in the first place.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:
Hmmm...

Because when I connected the dongle to the PS3 then a 3.5mm to my TB DSS, it didn't work. There was no sound at all because the dongle was trying to constantly pair with the headset... which is already paired in the first place.

strange.  I had no pairing issues either.  I had my TV's headphone out plugged into the 3.5mm input on the dongle, and the dongle was plugged into the ps3. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:
I actually like the way the original wireless headset looks better.  So does the pulse fit comfortably for big heads/long sessions?

They aren't the most comfortable headset, but not bad.  the clamping force is slightly tight for my preference, and the pleather earpads can get warm.  I have a medium sized head and can use it for ~2 hours without noticing them too much.  I guess it depends on your tolerance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 38
Can someone say if the mic is working good? I have my doubts about it because it's build in. Can your teammates understand you good while the ingame sound is at max? And can you hear yourself without a delay? Thanks

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:
The last other issue is the STUPID 2-piece headband Sony went with the Pulse. It's ridiculous.
The one piece design on the 1st gen wireless headset was fine and comfy, but because they had to go with this new style... the headband is uncomfortable for me, annoying in fact.

So that's about games,  what about music then?
I'm very much a ballad, kpop, rock, metal, and general otaku styled music listener (I know... jeez). I'm actually impressed with how well the Pulse sounded, if Sony were to sell the Pulse as headphones... I wouldn't complain at all. It's GOOD! Vocals are so important in ballad, and the Pulse trounces in them due to its balanced mids and highs. Bass is as I mentioned a little bit on the low side, but plug it into an amp... it would actually run its money with a M50.

For PC users, if you are decided to use this... use it in wired mode (the Pulse features a 3.5mm jack) into an amp or at least a soundcard with an amp. Then enable DH or CMSS 3D for your VSS needs. $150 (or rather, $130 now) isn't a bad deal really.

I currently have the fore-mentioned 1st gen PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have the surround sound capability when used with a PC. Agreed its extremely comfortable to use, the only reason I used the headset was due to its wireless capabilities.

I was considering getting the Pulse. But... what's the point when I already have the 1st gen, y'know? =/ 

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #28 of 38
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I turn up the volume enough so that they can hear me clearly and they say it sounds good.

FWIW I have a fan in my room and not a lot of other noise, I don't do my gaming in a machine shop or at an airport or anything like that.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I turn up the volume enough so that they can hear me clearly and they say it sounds good.

FWIW I have a fan in my room and not a lot of other noise, I don't do my gaming in a machine shop or at an airport or anything like that.

I mean, if you turn up the volume of the headset, does the mic pick up noise from the speakers of the heaset itself (because the mic is right next to the speakers of the left ear pad).

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

I mean, if you turn up the volume of the headset, does the mic pick up noise from the speakers of the heaset itself (because the mic is right next to the speakers of the left ear pad).

It doesn't, the mic is noise cancelling to a good certain degree.
I'm actually impressed at Sony for being able to hide the mic yet it's still pretty good. If they can improve on this tech further, it'll be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back