Pulling the pins out of heatsinks?
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrMajestic2

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried pulling the mounting pins out of heatsinks? The ones I want only comes with pins, and I would like to screw mount them instead. I dont have them yet so I cant try it, so Im curious if anyone has tried pulling them out and if its hard to do?

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Tried and failed.

I did read a post recently that suggests it's quite doable if you take the right approach. One method involved heating in an oven and plenty of penetrating oil then the pins pull right out. I apologize that I can't remember the thread.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwofsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried and failed.

I did read a post recently that suggests it's quite doable if you take the right approach. One method involved heating in an oven and plenty of penetrating oil then the pins pull right out. I apologize that I can't remember the thread.

Sounds like a pain in the behind to do that then
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to do 48 pins for my build, so I thinks Ill pass.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a pain in the behind to do that then
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to do 48 pins for my build, so I thinks Ill pass.

Here is the trick:

I use a door hinge (don't laugh) -- get one this is slim enough to insert into the heatsink pin slot and then hammer the pin out.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockcod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the trick:

I use a door hinge (don't laugh) -- get one this is slim enough to insert into the heatsink pin slot and then hammer the pin out.

Hey, that sounds doable
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks mate.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Even easier. Put the heatsink in a vise and squeeze it. the pressure will open the slot a bit and you will be able to grab the pins with pliers and roll them out. Takes a few seconds per heatsink. Rubber jaws will prevent marring the heatsink. Takes a good amount of pressure on the heatsink to get it loose enough to pull the pins out, but works great.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 10
I've had luck on two different sets of heatsinks simply twisting the pin out using a pair of vise-grips. You really need to tighten the vise-grips as much as possible to get them to lock onto the pin with enough force not to slip. Once they are locked tightly, I've been able to twist the pins out without a problem.

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had luck on two different sets of heatsinks simply twisting the pin out using a pair of vise-grips. You really need to tighten the vise-grips as much as possible to get them to lock onto the pin with enough force not to slip. Once they are locked tightly, I've been able to twist the pins out without a problem.

I've broken a couple pins off trying to do it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back