Pulled Trigger on HD595's
Jul 23, 2005 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
This afternoon I picked myself up a pair of the Sennheiser HD595's (the newer 50-Ohm revision) at the Virgin Megastore on North Michigan Avenue. The price is $229.99 (about $250 after sales tax), which is lower than even the discounted price from you-know-which-two respected mail-order headphone places. (I nearly pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon, but waited a day.)

The headphone selection at Virgin Megastore is generally of higher quality than the headphone selection at other stores of its type (which also specialize in CDs) and even the headphone selection at brick-and-mortar Best Buy and Circuit City stores (Best Buy sells the better Sennheiser headphones such as the HD280 Pro, HD555 and HD595, and the Shure E4c and E5c canalphones, only through their Web site; the Sennheiser PX200W and the Shure E2c and E3c are carried at most B&M Best Buy stores). Unfortunately, Virgin has recently started carrying some of the underperformance Sony headphones and earbuds, as well. And speaking of the Sennheiser selection, the selection there consists of the HD2#2 series, the HD497, the HD280 Pro and the PMX40 headphones and the MX#00 earbuds -- plus the RS1## wireless headphones, the new HD465 and my newly purchased HD595.

So much for discussing store headphone selections. But how does the HD595 sound? Well, to me, they are a more refined version of the HD555. (Keep in mind, however, that my particular HD555 is of the first-generation Made-In-Ireland 120-Ohm revision, while my HD595 is of the current 50-Ohm revision. All 50-Ohm versions sold in North America, as well as later 120-Ohm versions, are made in China.) The bass is slightly less bloated than the HD555, while the highs are a bit more detailed. (Sennheisers in general have been known for their slightly bloated mid-bass response and laid-back presentation -- and the sound from my particular HD555 is typical of the traditional mid-level Sennheiser sound.)

Hope you enjoyed my mini-review.

Eagle_Driver

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Could have sworn it was the other way around, as the box for my 120 ohm HD595s purchased well before they started shipping the 50 ohm models bears a "made in China" sticker.

In any case, congrats on an excellent purchase. Just wait until they're all burned in and the pads get softer and all cozy.

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
Could have sworn it was the other way around, as the box for my 120 ohm HD595s purchased well before they started shipping the 50 ohm models bears a "made in China" sticker.

In any case, congrats on an excellent purchase. Just wait until they're all burned in and the pads get softer and all cozy.

I phrased that sentence confusingly. I should have said "later samples of the 120-Ohm version, as well as all samples of the current 50-Ohm version sold in North America, are made in China."

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 7
If the HD595-50 really is like the HD555 only with clearer highs and more refinement and detail, then I definitely need to consider these headphones, as those were the precise issues that caused me to return the 555.....

Question though...I own the ATH-A900, and love it to death. Would the HD595 be an upgrade, or a lateral move?

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
Question though...I own the ATH-A900, and love it to death. Would the HD595 be an upgrade, or a lateral move?

Depends on your listening and musical tastes. But overall, the HD595's might be just a lateral move from your current ATH-A900's.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Good find Eagle_Driver.

Your review of the HD555 from headphonereviews.org was a big reason that I tried them out several months ago.

I predict Andrea will make an appearance in this thread soon. I'm psychic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back