Pulled Trigger: Grado SR-60 and Ety ER-6i
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Infantry

New Head-Fier
Grado SR-60 and Ety ER-6i on the way! I've been a musician for years, but am only now getting into the audiophile realm (with regards to headphones). To give you an idea I am stepping up from a set of Senheiser HD212pros. I wish I'd known about Grados before buying those. I think they will fit my musical preferences much better, and hopefully will be great for gaming as well.

Following a few forum member suggestions and my own research I decided to buy the grados and the ety's. They seem to be agreed apon by most here as a great entryway into the audiphile world. I'll be listening through an Archos 605 and the pairs first test will be on a business trip to Las Vegas this coming weekend. I ordered the Grados today with fedex express super saver from head room...I know they are a very popular store. Hopefully they will arrive before the weekend!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 17
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how much I'll like in ear headphones as I've never used them extensively. I guess if I don't like them I could always sell the Etys. I'm sure they will be a better option for flying than the grados, but once I get them both I'll post some reviews...even though they will be complete newb opinions haha.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Cool, funny you should mention that I was just looking for some info on burning in the etys. Should I just follow the burn in faq in these forums? Also I saw you had the RSA amp that is made especially for IEMs, how do you like it?

I grew up in Grand Rapids, where abouts in Michigan are you from?

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 17
The burn in FAQ is perfect. Others may suggest less or more burn in time, but 100hrs is what it took to satisfy me.

I just received the Tomahawk last night. It certainly is the perfect size and weight for IEMs. I have only been able to listen to it for about an hour. To me the most noticeable improvement is there is more texture and clarity in the music run through the amp. I haven't listened enough but I believe the RSA amp added warmth to the ER-6i, which the Etys can use. I call home Jenison, just outside of Grand Rapids.

I'm new to portable audio. My home system is a compromise between home audio and home theater, if such a compromise truly exists. So I'm on a huge learning curve here. But I'm certainly enjoying the journey! Good luck with those Grados and the Etys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 17
great purchases! I own the etys and they were/are my first "real" IEMs and they are GREAT, super clear, small and easy to drive

like others said, burn both in to get the full experience and don't despair if you don't get the sound you are looking for on the first note, if you have never heard high end audio before, your ears may take a week or so to get used to it all

oh and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 17
Well I can vouch for your decision, exactly the same set up as me!
biggrin.gif

They definitely compliment each other, plus the Ety's are amazing as a travelling set of cans. Be sure to experiment a little with the tips. I managed to increase the bass and the comfort with the Shure soft flex tips. Though I am hooked on the highs still!

Enjoy!

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 17
My brother is a former musician, and he loves his SR-60s for guitar-based rock and blues (he researched extensively for an outstanding combination of price and performance -- and he's very happy with them -- although very reasonably priced, they represented a huge outlay for him ... remember, he's a former musician, if you get my drift ... and he lets his wife listen to them, which helps).

I would absolutely hate to travel (or commute) without some kind of passive noise-cancelling 'phones, and for me, the ER6i's with foamies really do the trick well. I've since upgraded somewhat, but the tiny size, portability, isolation and clarity combine to make the Etys an excellent value (I doubt that you could do much better in terms of isolation from any other current offerings ... try foamies for comfort, isolation, and a bit of the bass that some claim is "not there"). Also, they EQ well, so if you have an EQ'able player, experiment with them.

I hope you enjoy your purchases!

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 17
The er6i are amazing. Just got mine a couple days ago and by far they are my favs for on the go. Beats out every other simple IEM for the price range I have had...and I have had many!

Edit: Btw, I have foamies for sale if you are curious about the tips. I however, do great with the biflanges myself. Pretty comfortable and block out the noise real well.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 17
"I however, do great with the biflanges myself."

The ER6's and ER6i's with bi-flanges provide the best isolation for me, too -- when the seal doesn't shift when I move my head (for me, the foamy fit is consistent). But others' mileage may vary. I agree that the bi-flanges should certainly be tried to see if the very impressive isolation can be maintained ... for some reason, I hate the tri-flanges, though.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I however, do great with the biflanges myself."

The ER6's and ER6i's with bi-flanges provide the best isolation for me, too -- when the seal doesn't shift when I move my head (for me, the foamy fit is consistent). But others' mileage may vary. I agree that the bi-flanges should certainly be tried to see if the very impressive isolation can be maintained ... for some reason, I hate the tri-flanges, though.

Triflanges go deep!
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for all the replies guys!

These "foamies" you speak of....we aren't talking about the stock foam inserts that come with the ER-6i are we? Haha sorry for being such a nub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back