Pulled the trigger on Sennheiser hd600's
Oct 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Well supposed to be good, an oldie but a goodie. Hoping that my Schiit stack magni and modi can power it. Crazy expensive, at 3890 nok or 350 USD. So a bit more than my hifi-man he-4xx's on drop. To replace my akg k612's which have a bent 3.5mm jack. The hifi-man cans didn't really impress on the schiit stack, sounded good but not mind blowing. Was hoping for better sound for a 900 dollar investment. So now hoping the Sennheisers do it. Have heard lots of great things from them of course. From before, have akg k612 (but bent 3.5mm jack, still my favorite cans), akg k271mkii which used as a student, some cheap but great value-for-money superluxes, DT-770 pros 80 ohm, and the aforementioned hifi-man he-4xx which are supposed to be my best cans, but which have been disappointing so far.

So hoping hd600's are as good as all the hype! Nearly 550 usd on the schiit stack, so figured may as well get cans that are as good. My source is tidal hi-fi, which is a bit wobbly on desktop pc, often quits and have to restart pc. Pretty annoying. Before I had the schiit stack (just a few days ago) I had a tiny FiiO Q1 cigarette sized dac/amp for the mobile, which still works surprisingly well.

Any comments on either Sennheiser hd600 or hifi-man he-4xx welcome. Not exactly a hifier, not in that class yet! Haven't enough hifi pesos! But will get there eventually!

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 94
I am a bit concerned that hd600's don't have removable cables. Again a weak point. At least hifimans have that. And some versions of akg. Should be standard on all cans.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 94
What do you mean? All models in the 500, 600, and 800 line have removable cables.

In fact, if you are flexible with importing, there is a wide, wide, wide variety of custom cables across all price ranges that fit with the 600 series.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 94
Already imported custom cables for he-4xx from china, longer ones. But wasn't aware that Sennheiser hd600's had removeable cables. If so super! Thanks for heads up! Super stoked now! As already bought in the hd600s. That would suck to buy such an expensive pair of cans, then wreck 3.5mm plug etc as I have done now twice with dt770s and k612s. So been burned before!

Oct 19, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 94
Well huge difference from dt-770's and HE-4xx's! The latter are very much better! Like night and day! Will keep comparing cans here.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 94
Well listening now to schiit stack and he-4xxe's and sounds pretty good. At least the bass has at least started to come there. On Tidal, had to upgrade to highest version of Tidal though. 200kr a month. Will have to wait for hd600's to see if this setup is any better. Ordered, eye-wateringly expensive! Well what it is to be a hi-fier.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 94
Well probably my last hi-fi headphone purchase for a while, the Sennheiser hd600's, and after that will be pretty broke! So hope they work out! My current cans, the hifiman hd 4xx work pretty well though, but not brilliant. As good as say my old akg k612's which unforunatelty have a broken 3.5mm plug. And no way to replace cable. All expensive headphones should have replacable cables! Well just chilling to some music on Tidal here, where I had to upgrade to highest version after purchase of Schiit magni and modi stack. Regardless, have a SUPER chilled day or evening! Nothing wrong with a few chilled tunes!

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 94
Super stoked, hd600's coming tomorrow! Well they'll either be great or so-so. But don't think they'll be bad! Well whatever, schiit modi and magni in the house. To be honest, a FiiO Q7 would have been just as good. Too late now! Always good to shoot the crap with head-fi members!

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 94
Have both cans. The 4XX are good for rock and blues. Classical, jazz, well recorded music - as long as you don't require big bass under 70 Hz the 600 are the way to go.

The 600's have many very fierce fans here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 94
Yepp see that. See that HD600's have many fans. We'll see once they're in the house. Have high expectations, should probably lower them a bit. Pretty ok with 4xx, they're comfy and sound good. Just not mind-blowing or what I expected planar magnetics to be. So it's a wash between higher end regular cans and planar magnetics. Thanks for the input all and as usual, good to be back here!

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 94
Have both cans. The 4XX are good for rock and blues. Classical, jazz, well recorded music - as long as you don't require big bass under 70 Hz the 600 are the way to go.

The 600's have many very fierce fans here and elsewhere.
I like my 6XX, but not to the point where that'd be my sole pick if I had to get rid of everything else :p

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 94
Well I don't have to choose, can have both, but bit annoying here with Tidal on PC where it crashes all the time. Have to restart pc everytime to get it to work. Very buggy! Extremely annoying! That's kind of the whole point with set up, Tidal hifi plus and schiit stack and hd600's. But if Tidal hifi keeps crashing bit pointless.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 94
So it's just the Tidal app which isn't working, youtube works fine. Always been buggy. Very disappointing. Just crashes or hangs. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back