Pulled the Trigger on a Oppo BDP-83SE
Dec 2, 2009 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
My trusty Oppo HD-970 finally bit the bird. It's been my main secondary transport for my Headphone rig for some time now. It survived being dragged to at least 6 meets (without the box, wrapped in a towel). I believe that it lasted about 4 years of very hard use, so I'm not upset at its passing.

Since I've got over a hundred SACD's and around 35 DVD-A discs that I would still like to be able to listen to the number of players to choose from is somewhat limited. I then read about the upgraded BDP-83SE. It seemed to fit the bill nicely. I'm hoping that it's good enough that I can forgo the use of a separate DAC for Redbook use.

I'm also pleased that it should handily trounce my Samsung Blu-Ray player for both Blu-Ray's and DVD's. It is however going to lead to a lot more cabling. 1st since the DAC's in the 83 are supposedly so good I'll now be using its 7.1 Analog output to my Home Theater Receiver (Which does not digitize its 7.1 analog input). However the Oppo does not allow streaming from Netflix so my Samsung will also be staying in the system, and since I also have HD cable that leaves me with three HDMI video sources. Unfortunately my projector only has two inputs. To complicate matters even further the Oppo will reside with my headphone rig which is not centrally located.

Still I am excited to be getting a new toy and have high hopes that it'll be a real overachiever,

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 15
I've got the non-SE version and I'd say that there has not been a single instant where I actually regretted this purchase. Oppo makes one hell of a good player.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the non-SE version and I'd say that there has not been a single instant where I actually regretted this purchase. Oppo makes one hell of a good player.
biggrin.gif

x2, I like this player A LOT !

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 15
Let us know how it sounds. I'm just waiting for the upgrade to become available in Canada to move up to the SE version. The original still sounds pretty nice though. I've A/B'd it with the Wolfson DAC's in my receiver and the Oppo is a little sweeter and more organic sounding already, so anxiously looking forward to how the new Sabre DAC and power supply change the sound.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 15
Yikes, can I ask what you paid for the Oppo ? They were available here for a short time, but seemed to be a lot more expensive than the exchange rate+freight/retail margin would have dictated ...

Edit : apologies - checked the NuForce site when I realised how 'special' this Oppo is : I think my needs would be better served by the base model.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 15
$899 plus shipping and unfortunately I wasn't thinking clearly and I purchased the three year warranty. Which means that I wasted $69 if I choose to have the player modded, and knowing me there's a strong likelihood of that happening.

It's due to arrive on Wednesday, can't wait to start the break-in process.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 15
Anyone know if I can use the OPPO BDP-83-SE as a stand-alone DAC? Specifically, I'd like to be able to play music files off my Mac through the DAC of the OPPO, and then run the audio output of the OPPO to my tube amp. Can this be done?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 15
No, it can not function as a DAC. The USB slots are for Memory Sticks to support BD live, and the player can play some music files that might be stored on the memory Stick. I believe that I also read that Oppo has no intention of future implementation of USB connectivity for use as a DAC.

That being said the BDP83SE is a tremendous bargain. For $900 you get a world class Blu-Ray/DVD Player and more importantly it punches far above it's weight class as a CD/SACD/DVD-A player. It also is possibly the best platform for modification available. The Modded BDP83/SE (Depending on whos mod) competes with players at pretty much any cost.

It's good enough that I'm planning on moving it into my main system for use with my speaker rig. I know of no bigger complement.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it can not function as a DAC. The USB slots are for Memory Sticks to support BD live, and the player can play some music files that might be stored on the memory Stick. I believe that I also read that Oppo has no intention of future implementation of USB connectivity for use as a DAC.

Yes you can use the USB thumb drive as add capacity for BD-Live, but that is not really the purpose of the two USB ports. You can play MP3s, Wav ect from your thumb drive plus things like MPEG 1,2 and I think 4. I haven't tried to hook my USB port from my computer to my BD-83.. via USB but I don't see why not.
However the drive that you are using has to have the frat32 format.

Plus Oppo has a bata firmware, this is what Oppo said one of the functions are for. "Experimental feature - home network streaming. This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream."

ss

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you can use the USB thumb drive as add capacity for BD-Live, but that is not really the purpose of the two USB ports. You can play MP3s, Wav ect from your thumb drive plus things like MPEG 1,2 and I think 4. I haven't tried to hook my USB port from my computer to my BD-83.. via USB but I don't see why not.
However the drive that you are using has to have the frat32 format.

Plus Oppo has a bata firmware, this is what Oppo said one of the functions are for. "Experimental feature - home network streaming. This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream."

ss

Whatever.... I'm not going to argue about it. I was just repeating what the Nuforce guy wrote over at AudioCircle.

I wouldn't hamstring my music server by using USB. The only way to go is with a good pro sound card that has transformer coupled SPDIF outputs.

USB has no draw for me whatsoever.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know how it sounds. I'm just waiting for the upgrade to become available in Canada to move up to the SE version. The original still sounds pretty nice though. I've A/B'd it with the Wolfson DAC's in my receiver and the Oppo is a little sweeter and more organic sounding already, so anxiously looking forward to how the new Sabre DAC and power supply change the sound.

See also this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/opp...rc-1-a-462061/

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever.... I'm not going to argue about it. I was just repeating what the Nuforce guy wrote over at AudioCircle.

I wouldn't hamstring my music server by using USB. The only way to go is with a good pro sound card that has transformer coupled SPDIF outputs.

USB has no draw for me whatsoever.

Chill, I wasn't trying to start a argument
I was just stating what works for me, that's all.

And the guy ted_b isn't with Newforce. I know ted_b and he could be right about using the HD of a computer, like I said I have not tried to use a external HD yet. But I think I will try it soon, I think I have a external HD that is formatted in frat32.
wink_face.gif

ss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back