Pulled the trigger on a Hornet
Feb 20, 2007 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

barshnik

Head-Fier
I had every intention of buying an inexpensive portable amp like XM4 or Headphonia as my first headphone amp. I made the mistake of reading the Hornet threads and calling Ray at RSA. Next thing you know, I'm on my payPal account, spending nearly 4x my initial budget.

If this continues, I'll be looking to upgrade from my beyerdynamic DT880's. Please tell me not to worry, be happy...

Question: Does this mean I'm a degenerate, or will that tag only come when I find myself ordering UE-10 Pro's?

John F
LV, NV

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 21
I was intending on only spending <£100. Ended up paying a lot more...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take it from me, it ONLY GETS WORSE!!!!
mad.gif

what he meant is your wallet gets worse, but the sound quality gets better and better!! you made a good purchase. the way i see it, you only got one life to live, so live to the fullest. because in your next life, you will be a cat lurking around the neighborhood only to see that someone else is listening through the hornet and you realize that you are incapable of making a purchase.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what he meant is your wallet gets worse, but the sound quality gets better and better!! you made a good purchase. the way i see it, you only got one life to live, so live to the fullest. because in your next life, you will be a cat lurking around the neighborhood only to see that someone else is listening through the hornet and you realize that you are incapable of making a purchase.
biggrin.gif

Funny, because one of our cats likes to sit next to the 880's when I am listening.

My final justifications for the Hornet were: I'm only going to have one amp, this should be good enough for home use and small and portable enough for travel. I'll be less likely to purchase another amp anytime soon. It is small enough so my wife might not notice it. Ray seems like a nice guy. And so on...

How much of a premium are the colored cases (I ordered black, my iPod is black)?

John F

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, because one of our cats likes to sit next to the 880's when I am listening.

My final justifications for the Hornet were: I'm only going to have one amp, this should be good enough for home use and small and portable enough for travel. I'll be less likely to purchase another amp anytime soon. It is small enough so my wife might not notice it. Ray seems like a nice guy. And so on...

How much of a premium are the colored cases (I ordered black, my iPod is black)?

John F

I seem to remember that its $45 for a colored case if you buy it seperatly from the hornet but $20 if you buy it instead of the black.

someone correct me if I'm wrong

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 21
personally, I LOVE my Hornet with the Beyer 880. Put the sucker on hi-gain and let the 880s sing.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I'll be less likely to purchase another amp anytime soon.

that's what i told myself after getting the xin supermacro... since then i bought a tomahawk, ordered the supermicro, and have plans to get the hornet...

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's what i told myself after getting the xin supermacro... since then i bought a tomahawk, ordered the supermicro, and have plans to get the hornet...

why?

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I had every intention of buying an inexpensive portable amp like XM4 or Headphonia as my first headphone amp. I made the mistake of reading the Hornet threads and calling Ray at RSA. Next thing you know, I'm on my payPal account, spending nearly 4x my initial budget.

If this continues, I'll be looking to upgrade from my beyerdynamic DT880's. Please tell me not to worry, be happy...

Question: Does this mean I'm a degenerate, or will that tag only come when I find myself ordering UE-10 Pro's?

John F
LV, NV

Let us know when you get it in. I could not believe my ears the first time I experenced it!! It gets better with the more you use it..
Man don't spend that much on the UE-10s until you search the the ES2's out first!!
Leave this site while you still have your cash........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take it from me, it ONLY GETS WORSE!!!!
mad.gif

I'll say. I'm starting to look at the Opera, although I'm planning on trying the Aria first. Just have to build up some funds. MUST get the A950Ltd first.
image.php

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll say. I'm starting to look at the Opera, although I'm planning on trying the Aria first. Just have to build up some funds. MUST get the A950Ltd first.
image.php

wink.gif
Me too!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know when you get it in. I could not believe my ears the first time I experenced it!! It gets better with the more you use it..
Man don't spend that much on the UE-10s until you search the the ES2's out first!!
Leave this site while you still have your cash........
very_evil_smiley.gif

It'll be here Friday (just got Fedex confirmation number from Roy). He had all colors but red - I thought of green or silver, but decided on good-ole plain black. Less conspicuous to the wife's eyes, I figured.

Ordered the AudioLineOut 'bling bling' dock cable even though I have the SendStation dock for my gen 5 iPod, figured it would be one less connector in the chain (won't need the mini -> mini)...

Like I needed another hobby...

John F

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

John F
LV, NV

Hasen't anyone given you our official welcome:

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet"

I could have afforded a new car or deposit for a house by now...

Put it this way... House, car you can have when you're 60.

Your ears will be less sensitive by then and hence less able to appreciate high end audio. Get your good equipment NOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back