pulled the trigger in the X5L
Jun 23, 2005 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Caboose

Head-Fier
Well, thanks to all the various input on this site (and a few other reviews), I pulled the trigger on ordering the iAudio X5L today. My first DAP, and hoping it will fit the bill. Amazingly enough, I hadn't heard of Cowon or iaudio until this site. I knew I didn't want an Ipod (even before finding Headfi) just from talking to others and things I'd read. Was leaning toward Iriver. Alot of the debate sounds like the ones I was running into in the Headphones forum when I was trying to decide on some IEM's. It came down to the E4's vs. the Superfi's. I finally decided on the E4's, but realized they both forever will have their loyal base and that's a good thing.
Anyway, I really appreciate all of the time numerous people have taken to post extensive reviews and follow-up questions and comments. This truly is one of the best sites out there for expertise, experience and level of activity. I guess I will become a contributing member and encourage all others that have benefited from this site to do the same. $15 (at least) isn't much to cough up when you realize the quality and quantity of information you get here.
Thanks, Dean

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 12
I too just ordered the X5L (as noted below in my thread). I'd also like to thank this site for all the info eschewed from the many great members who contribute with their opinions and knowledge.

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Where'd you guys order it form?

I ordered it directly from Cowon (iAudio). I wanted the X5L 30gb and I didn't find it anywhere other than eBay. The price at Cowon was $379 with no tax or shipping. The price at eBay was $369 + $10.00 shipping so it was a wash. Figure in the direct from the manufacturer or authorized retailer stuff and it seemed like the way to go. I'm sure I could find it a little cheaper, but probably not much considering how new it is.
I ordered it this morning, and the current status is "ready to ship" so, hopefully by this time next week, I'll be able to give some thoughts....although as a non-audiophile DAP newbie. Oh well, there's lots of us out there, isn't there?
biggrin.gif

Good luck............and if anyone knows where I can download an english manual, let me know. Even Cowon doesn't appear to have one on-line yet.

Cheers, Dean

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 12
I ordered my 20gig X5L yesterday directly from Cowon as well. 330 even. Shipped today and will arrive Tuesday.

There is a manual available, though I can't remember where. Do some google searches, for jetaudio, iaudio, cowon, etc. and eventually it'll turn up. Cowon has several sites, for each of their subdivisions, as well as their various country sites, and I did find it somewhere the other day.

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 12
Insomniac,
It appears that besides Newegg not yet stocking the X5L, they are also listing the 30 gb version at $349 + $5.99 shipping for a total of $355.00. For $379.00 direct from Cowon, you'll be enjoying the X5L 30 gb version by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Seems like $24.00 well spent.......if you're in the market now and don't mind paying a bit of a premium to be an early adopter. By the looks of your inventory, I'd bet you're not averse to that
k1000smile.gif
Hey, misery (sorry about your wallet) loves company, right?

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 12
My god, it has a trigger too? That player really does have everything.

I'm still waiting on the 60GB version. When on when will you release the 60GB version iAudio? Hurry up already!

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar
My god, it has a trigger too? That player really does have everything.

I'm still waiting on the 60GB version. When on when will you release the 60GB version iAudio? Hurry up already!

You sound like Ralphie in A Christmas Story "I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200gb, Range Model digital audio player with a compass on the stock and this thing which tells time."

No way kid.........you'll blast your ears out!!

Jun 24, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 12
I just ordered a 30G X5L, as well. I also ordered the remote. Pretty excited about getting this player.

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
I just ordered a 30G X5L, as well. I also ordered the remote. Pretty excited about getting this player.

Well Uncle b, we'll all have to complare notes starting Tuesday or Wednesday. I didn't get the remote......yet.....since most of my use will be at my desk at work. If I were going to go more portable, I'd definitely consider it.
On a somewhat related note - I am such a rank newbie at the DAP thing, I am going to need to find a good resource for how to best rip my CD's to various formats compatible with the X5. MP3 format is okay, but with all the talk about OGG Vorbis and FLAC, supposedly higher quality formats, I'd like to use them.
If any of you have any good recommendations for resources, particularly on the web, please let me know.
Thanks, Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back