Puccini - La Boheme
Aug 7, 2005 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
What are people's favorites of this opera? I know the Karajan recording is the standard, as well as the Beecham. I'm looking at getting the Thomas Schippers recording, which features Pavarotti and Freni, same as the Karajan. I'm no big Karajan fan, but I may pick up his Boheme since it is so lauded. Though, I might get Schippers first as I'd like to hear more of his stuff.

Any other thoughts? How are Chailly, Solti or Pappano?

Aug 7, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 9
When the Pappano came out I was doubtful, but surprise, surprise, surprise. I love that recording. My current favorite, displacing Chailly. Karajan is excellent. Solti is a much more aggresive view than usual. It is exciting, powerfully played, and vividly recorded. Boheme has been very fortunate on disk, except for one dreadful Bernstein.

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Being totally a fan of Maria Callas I also have her recording of La Bohème which includes an excellent performance by Giuseppi di Stefano and an unbelievably brilliant performance by a very young Anna Moffo as Musetta. That is probably my sentimental favorite version of the opera. It's on EMI, and btw, Maria herself will bring you to tears in this one. She was the DIVA. No one else before or since can compare.

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't heard Chailly, Solti or Pappano, sorry. The one I own and love is the Freni, Pavarotti Von Karajan/BPO.
B0000041TD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

To my surprise Karajan really "gets" Puccini, and has no problem dishing out Puccini (magnificent) molasses. Freni/Pavarotti in the first act are breathtaking, you would swear they are really deeply in love with each other.
Another good one I have heard is Victoria de los Angeles (wonderful) with Jussi Bjorling (too cerebral, Pavarotti is much better). I think it is this CD
B000002RXE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 9
I have the MFSL half speed mastered version of the Karajan Boheme and I've never gotten all the way through it. Nothing wrong with the version, it's just that Puccini's orchestration really gets on my nerves. I like it better as excerpted arias in a recital. I'll take just about any opera composer over Puccini... Donizetti, Verdi, Bellini, Rossini... you get the idea.

See ya
Steve

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 9
My two cents...

I think the singing on the Karajan/Pavarotti/Freni recording is great. I have problems with Karajan's tempi.

I think Callas is seriously miscast as Mimi. I don't care for her "Boheme" at all.

The Bjorling/de los Angeles/Beecham has WONDERFUL singing. I find Bjorling a bit detached. The conducting and playing are bit bland.

You mean the Schippers/GEDDA/Freni, right? On EMI? That's my second-favorite "Boheme." Real chemistry, very theatrical, great singing.

My number-one favorite is the Serafin/Tebaldi/Bergonzi on Decca.

Jeffery

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
My two cents...

I think the singing on the Karajan/Pavarotti/Freni recording is great. I have problems with Karajan's tempi.

I think Callas is seriously miscast as Mimi. I don't care for her "Boheme" at all.

The Bjorling/de los Angeles/Beecham has WONDERFUL singing. I find Bjorling a bit detached. The conducting and playing are bit bland.

You mean the Schippers/GEDDA/Freni, right? On EMI? That's my second-favorite "Boheme." Real chemistry, very theatrical, great singing.

My number-one favorite is the Serafin/Tebaldi/Bergonzi on Decca.

Jeffery

I was referring to the Schippers/Pavarotti/Freni on Opera d'Oro. I believe GanChan has just linked to it above. I wonder how it compares to his EMI recording.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back