PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Look at chinese "amazon" before buying on eBay/online! FAKE HEADPHONES
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gradofan1

aka davisxu
aka rajmahal
aka PolarBear123
As my first post, I figured I'd make a PSA and warn about fake headphones, which can be confusing especially when buying online...

I was about to shell out $399 for an IE800 and I thought this was GREAT deal (on ebay). Even though the seller was from China (had 290 feedback 100%), I never thought anyone would knock off such a high end model as an IE800.

...Then I searched the chinese "ebay/amazon": taobao.com

My point is -- even if you think it's a high end brand/headphone that can't be faked, search the chinese site first. Doesn't matter if you can't read chinese, just type in the model name in english and hit search. If you find something in chinese yuan (again, remember the 6:1 exchange rate) that's WAY TOO CHEAP, be careful about buying similar headphones on a site like ebay for a cheap price. Especially if the seller is in Asia (not to be racist or anything).

*also a note about IE80's on ebay -- half of them are fake. stay away.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 13
bump.. let's make this thread into the "commonly faked" headphones list, since there's no such thread on head-fi yet. Here's a start:

All Bose 
All Dre Beats (not that we care about those two)

Monster Turbine Pro, both gold and copper
Monster Miles Davis Tribute (but not Trumpet for some reason, idk)
Sennheiser IE8i
Sennheiser IE80
Sennheiser IE800

Audio Technica 50th anniversary IEM's (2500 limited model)

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 13
This might be a dumb question but is everything on that website fake? I saw some beyers on there. This might explain why my eBay bought headphones (dt770 pro 80) have been having issues. How would I know I got fakes?

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 13
Never heard of fake beyers, but it's a possibility. IEM's are more likely to be ripped off b/c they're easier to build. 

However, the Sennheiser HD598 should be added to the list. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 13
Most of the popular DJ/studio cans have been copied. Sony and Pioneer especially...
Sony: V6, V700
Pioneer HDJ-1000/2000

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 13
Of course, how'd I forget Sony..

MDR-EX1000 (and the entire line of IEM's)
Most of the monitors as mentioned above, including the popular MDR7506

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 13
This might be a dumb question but is everything on that website fake? I saw some beyers on there. This might explain why my eBay bought headphones (dt770 pro 80) have been having issues. How would I know I got fakes?

Not everything on that website is fake, but the "suspicious" cheap headphones definitely are. They sell legit HifiMan's, for instance, albeit for much higher than market price.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 13
They sell Sony MDR-SA5000 for 2000 yuans (330usd) which is pretty cheap if its the real thing.

Audeze LCD-2 for 6200 yuans (1020usd) so about the same price.

Makes me wonder which are fake/real.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 13
The Beat fakes and Senns are amazing in detail. I live in Japan and the problem with fakes are so bad it's infiltrating the consumer chain at the retail outlet level. Edion had a notice of potential non authentic goods being packaged as authentic "homono"
. This is one of the largest chains in Japan and they are having their stock injected with fakes. 

Even buying from reputable vendors is not without risk. The vendor chain has been breached. The tensions between China and Japan are having effects and causing little economic skirmishes. Some folks who bought cans from a very very reputable electronics stores may have fakes. Audiophiles can pick em out by ear or by eye but the average consumer??

Good PSA.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back