Ptfe Silver Wire Portable Use?
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nihilill

Head-Fier
I'm making a cable for my modified kns6400 out of 22g ptfe coated silver and Neutrik plugs. The wire feels like it would be extremely prone to kinking and or breaking. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience? Perhaps I should use 8 lengths instead of 4 and make a doubled braid. I was planning on leaving it unsheathed but I'm not opposed to the idea.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 2
PTFE (Teflon) insulation is a bit more rigid and less soft to the touch than XLPE/LLDPE (polyethylene) insulation, the benefits being it is more transparent and has a higher insulating capability (though this is not a big difference).  I wouldn't worry about it's durability too much, it's pretty good in that regard, you'd really just have to worry about it bending and holding kinks.  Unless you plan on sleeving the wires, it may not be the best for potable use (sleeving will reduce kinking) but it will definitely work - 4 strands should be sufficient because it is a larger gauge.  For polyethylene insulated SPC, I'd recommend checking out the following:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2620180&id=15045895

Since the gauge is smaller, I would recommend using 8 strands in this instance, but you should still be fine with 4 strands honestly.  Sleeving will further protect the wire and reinforce it, but isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back