Psyko Audio "5.1" Headphones
Oct 18, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #47 of 57
Bad news, pc amp didn't have enough juice I was unable to make a comparison, sorry.

Maybe it would be better to wait for the toslink version in the future. The sound was so bad it seem to get fuzzy and distorted, so I kept turning the volume down.

This thing can't be run effectively with my audio equipment, except out through a headphone jack which can provide a okay power through the psyko amp but using one channel which is not going to cut it for 300.00. Toslink version would be better, plus its obviously a cleaner signal

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #48 of 57
Does anyone know if these headphones will support 5.1 via a headphone jack on a high end 7.1 receiver?

I am having a hard time grasping how it is possible for Turtle Beach's HPX headphones to connect via Astro MixAmp or Surround sound receiver, and output a 5.1 signal. This is what I am told anyways.

And all HPX or HPA2 series turtle beach headsets are the same, they have break away cords that you can attach that allow it to connect to different pieces of equipment like the PC, Astro Mixamp, or a surround sound stereo receiver.

Would there be a way to modify the Psyko audios into doing this?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/Portals/0...cable_only.jpg

http://www.TurtleBeach.com/Portals/0...1_cable_v2.jpg

See how versatile the TBs are? The problem I am having is I do not understand what they are PHYSICALLY doing. How can they go from one cord to multiple cords for the PC?

The way I see it is if they are able to go from multiple PC 3.5mm jacks to 1/4 jacks and single 3.5mm jacks AND still produce 5.1, then I should be able to get the Psyko audios and do the same thing.

A guy at psyko said it would not work, you could not go from all of those multiple channels to one cord that will support that.

So I am wondering, who is right? Turtle Beach? Psyko? Both?

And more importantly, WHY, I am not so much interested in why because I want the headphones, I just think it would be a good learning experience.

I have created a small/quick Paint to illustrate what I am saying, its not pretty, but I think it gets the job done.

headsetsetup.jpg

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #49 of 57
Maybe there is also a converter or some type of amp that can convert the 3 3.5mm computer plugs to an optical cable that or just accept the 3.5mm jack for the output, and optical cable for the input.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #50 of 57
Dunkie, the way that the Turtle Beach is limited in some respects. The way that the headset is designed is that there are 4 drivers in each earcup. 2 40mm drivers in each earcup, and then...smaller drivers, I'm not sure what size they are. The HPX is very versatile, but you do NOT get the same sound with every cable.

Surround sound cable - When this cable is used, All 8 drivers in the HPX are being used for the true surround sound.

HPX-1 Cable(for the astro mixamp) - Just a normal 4-pole 3.5mm cable that is compatible with the astro mixamp. In this setup, only 4 drivers total(the 2 40mm drivers in each earcup) are being used, as regular stereo headphones, just with 2 drivers being used per ear instead of 1(some IEM's do this normally as well, each earbud will have 2 drivers). This setup is still stereo HOWEVER you get VIRTUAL 5.1 from the astro mixamp if you turn on the Dolby Headphone switch. So the HPX headset becomes VIRTUAL 5.1 when used with the HPX-1 cable and mixamp.

HPX-2 (PC 3.5mm jacks) Same as above. But this is meant to be plugged into your PC. so it's completely stereo. I mean sure, you could use this cable with the astro pc headset adapter and then use the mixamp for the virtual surround sound, but the point I'm trying to make is that only the 1 SS cable termination allows for the true surround sound, while every other cable relies on some Dolby decoding device to give you the surround. Psyko built their headset because they feel that both the 5.1 headsets with a bunch of little drivers in the earcups, and the stereo headphones and stereo headphones with DSP are not adequate for true 5.1 sound in gaming, so they made it the way that they did. So why would they go through the trouble of creating a new way to do the 5.1 just to give people the option to go the DSP way that they feel is inadequate for gaming?

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if these headphones will support 5.1 via a headphone jack on a high end 7.1 receiver?

I am having a hard time grasping how it is possible for Turtle Beach's HPX headphones to connect via Astro MixAmp or Surround sound receiver, and output a 5.1 signal. This is what I am told anyways.

And all HPX or HPA2 series turtle beach headsets are the same, they have break away cords that you can attach that allow it to connect to different pieces of equipment like the PC, Astro Mixamp, or a surround sound stereo receiver.

Would there be a way to modify the Psyko audios into doing this?

http://www.TurtleBeach.com/Portals/0...1_cable_v2.jpg

See how versatile the TBs are? The problem I am having is I do not understand what they are PHYSICALLY doing. How can they go from one cord to multiple cords for the PC?

The way I see it is if they are able to go from multiple PC 3.5mm jacks to 1/4 jacks and single 3.5mm jacks AND still produce 5.1, then I should be able to get the Psyko audios and do the same thing.

A guy at psyko said it would not work, you could not go from all of those multiple channels to one cord that will support that.

So I am wondering, who is right? Turtle Beach? Psyko? Both?

And more importantly, WHY, I am not so much interested in why because I want the headphones, I just think it would be a good learning experience.

I have created a small/quick Paint to illustrate what I am saying, its not pretty, but I think it gets the job done.

headsetsetup.jpg

why waste the time? the HPA/X is miles better than the psycho setup... and headphone out on a receiver is 2.0ch, no matter what you plug into it.

May 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 57
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/05/12/psyko_51_pc_gaming_headset

Another bad review.

They are compared to the AD700s and recent gaming headsets by Creative, all of which apparrently wipe the floor with the Psychos for sound quality.

Aparrently the directional aspect works well but the sound quality is dreadful, as you'd expect with sound piped to the ears from tiny little drivers.

May 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #55 of 57
wow that was quite a critical review by [H]ard. no surprise at all though, I knew from the get go these things were gonna be a big 'ol pile of junk. honestly, companies need to stop trying to create 5.1 headphones. it's impossible to create a realistic surround environment in such a closed space. when it is accomplished however, the quality of the sounds produced is like that of a Chinese novelty FM radio toy found connected to various clothing items in Macy's.

May 19, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #56 of 57
The only way to get decent 5.1 sound in headphones would be to have a giant head-based contraption much like the AKG K1000, but with 5 speakers and maybe a sub attached to the back of the head for skull-shaking bass. Then it would cease to be a headphone.

I would love to see someone on a bus with one, though.

May 19, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #57 of 57
haha yeah, I was just picturing those creepy TV-Head people, that would probably be around the space needed for 5.1 headphones.

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back