Psyko Audio "5.1" Headphones
Jan 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmichael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YouTube - Psyko 5.1 Headphones . taikero check out this you tube video of the psyko. Im going to get this as soon as I can I have dobly surround sound on my sony vaio and 1080p as the picture to watch movies and play video games on and I think the psyko company had this in mind when they made the 5.1 Ill let you know how they work.

I'm definitely curious to know what these headphones sound like. Out of curiousity, what other headphones do you own that you might be able to compare the Psyko Audio headphones to?

P.S. Check around 2:45 to see some ridiculous footage of some guy with a beanie pulled completely over his ears using these headphones while gaming. GOT VEIL?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #19 of 57
"Ultimate Pawnage"... haha!

No thanks, Dolby Headphone Tech gives me great 5.1 positioning and depth perception in REAL stereo headphones (DT880's).

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever bought anything from them or know what they sound like? Anyone ever bought headphones claiming surround sound? Does anyone else think this is just another marketing gimmick like I do?

i used to have some medusa 5.1 'phones. they sounded like garbage for the price, and the "surround sound" didn't actually sound like a 5.1 system.
save your money and get something else.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 57
The technology is really cool in these.

Notice that there are 5 speakers in the headset, and each of the 5 speakers has a "air channel" or tube that is connected to BOTH ears. This means you get a natural "crossfeed" or "binaural" recording effect. The sound is delayed slightly when it reaches the other ear, like real directional sound.

I think that's pretty cool, especially since no additional processing is needed to create that effect.

I don't see a reason to bash these if they haven't been heard, sounds like a really innovative product. Certainly beats designs where multiple drivers are jammed into one ear cup.

If they are overpriced or ugly, that may be another matter...

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly beats designs where multiple drivers are jammed into one ear cup.

True, but it still is the same basic concept - the sound (be it channeled-in or the actual driver) are still crammed in the small space of an ear cup. That kind of limited space driver separation never works great for effective SS representation.

Plus the claims they make about regular stereo headphones are ignorant.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For surround sound I find this system rather interesting choice

DSPeaker-HeaDSPeaker

It even tracks your head movements and changes the sound direction accordingly.

Only works from computer for now though.

s_c2f229406d.jpg

"Take me to your leader...."

But seriously, head tracking and DSP are the best tech for 5.1 in headphones.

The ultimate version is the Smyths system. But until they drop under $3k, they are not a viable solution for most people.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do agree with that.

This headphone is for gamers that drop $500-600 when a new video card comes out without even thinking about it.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've only got two ears - anything more than two speakers for headphones is silly.

wow.
that is wrong on so many levels...
perhaps you don't realize how incredibly complex our sense of sound is?
we can determine the direction sounds come from because of a slight asymmetry of where our ears are on our heads, as well as the way sounds travel through our ear canals. the slightest change in resonance or tone or timing of sound has a huge impact on the way our brains perceive direction of sound.
surround sound and dolby technology are far from silly, and the more speakers there are, the truer to life the sound will be, assuming the speakers are decent.
the problem lies within the way surround sound and dolby headphones are being made; there has yet to be a set of headphones that truly emulate the way surround or dolby works.
this set may be the one that breaks the mold, but i won't be convinced until i've heard them for myself.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but it still is the same basic concept - the sound (be it channeled-in or the actual driver) are still crammed in the small space of an ear cup. That kind of limited space driver separation never works great for effective SS representation.

Well, they are trying to sell a product, so they want it to sound like its superior.. The Majority have no clue about headphones so they fall for it.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to have some medusa 5.1 'phones. they sounded like garbage for the price, and the "surround sound" didn't actually sound like a 5.1 system.
save your money and get something else.

I just got a used Medusa 5.1 Classic version. It took a lot of tweaking the sound card settings to get them right, but the overall SQ and positional audio is a lot better than my Logi Z5300s. These obviously aren't for musical listening, but they are quite impressive as a gaming accessory.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a used Medusa 5.1 Classic version. It took a lot of tweaking the sound card settings to get them right, but the overall SQ and positional audio is a lot better than my Logi Z5300s. These obviously aren't for musical listening, but they are quite impressive as a gaming accessory.

heh, i didn't even think they were good for movies, let alone gaming or voip.
i probably spent a week or two tweaking everything i could, and in the end, decided to sacrifice them to the sfi gods.
and saying something is better than logitech for any type of audio isn't really impressive. logitech is terrible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back