psychology degree
Apr 16, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by eMpAtHy
what would be the one where u sit with someone in a room and talk to them about their problems and such?

Psychologists do therapy primarily. Psychiatrists anymore just prescribe drugs.

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #17 of 20
oh okay. thanks for clearing that up..but i have a couple more questions and probably more when i get the ansewrs to the questions im asking :p...

im going to a community college before i transfer into a UC..and i was planning to finish my 2 years and get my AA at a local community college than transfer to a public university..but do i have to start taking classes for my major in a community college?? If i wanted to wait till i was done with my AA before i actually chose what major i wanted..or would i need to take certain classes first? What would be the important classes that are required for law school? I dont plan to be a psychiatrist..its just way too much schooling and i dont think i'll be able to handle it..but for some reason i guess ill be able to handle 3 years of law school..or can i just take the required classes to finish my AA or do i have to plan ahead??i'd be at school talking to my college counselors or my normal counselors, but they dont know anything. I currently go to a highschool and im in my senior year and a month from graduating.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #18 of 20
If you go the psychology route, I would recommend starting in on a few of your classes. Primarily gen psych is your concern. Look at the website for the college that you want to go to and see if they list out what stuff will transfer.

Look at their course catalogs and see what classes match up.

I've known several people that have had to take more than 4 years to finish up after grad school for the simple fact that they took a bunch of classes that would not transfer. So be careful and ask your advisor what will transfer to a 4 year school. Most Jucos have different requirements to graduate than what you'll need at a 4 year school.

And be ready to launch into your major and not take much outside of it. A psychology degree at my school doesn't require a lot out of it's students. They say you can graduate a semester and a half after declaring it, which I know to be truth because I am Junior and I'm already done with all my requirements, I just need to finish up on hours before I graduate.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 20
Oh, and for the most part you can finish up your grad school for a Ph.D. in clinical psychology in 5 years on average, and then 1 year of paid internship.

Then there are the Psy.D. programs which is what I want to do. Much less research and more focus on therapy. That should take 4 years and 1 year of internship.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 20
umm 5 years total??like 2 years at a community college..2 years for a bachelors and 1 year for the masters..or are u talking 9 years total..with like 4 years for a bachelors and 5 years for the phd? and 1 year internship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back