Psy-music headphones: IEM's vs. Full @ $400
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shotgun

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm interested in upgrading my gear in either field with a pretty competent budget. I already have indoor bose QC 3 (hold the tomatos please) and outdoor crappy ipod IEMs.

I listen primarily to psy music, chillout and trance. I like a full-range, thick middle sound, not just highs and lows.

From my IEM research the Klipsch stand out - Klipsch Image: In-Ear Headphones, Noise Reduction Headphones - Overview

As for full-ear the Dennon 2000 look beautiful and promising - Denon USA | AH-D2000

I would appreciate any recommendations and feedback, specifically for this type of electronic, multi-layered music.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Is this for home or portable use? or are you looking for both IEM and full-size headphones?
What other equipment do you have?

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 18
either IEM or full-ear. As I said, my current IEM is cheap generic stuff and needs the upgrade more, but for a highly recommended full-ear (vs. my bose) I might go for that.

I listen to music either through my i-pod (outdoors) or my computer with my bose (indoor).

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 18
The Shure Se530's offer a really excellent mids and powerful and detailed bass, although their treble is not amazing. Your budget is slightly below the cost of UE's new custom IEMs (UE4 I think). Obviously I haven't heard them because they're customs, but the reviews seem to portray them as neutral.
The D2000's offer great bass and good treble with OK mids. For electronic music, I do like the D2/5/7 series. You claim you want "thick middle sound" so in that sense the denons may not be the right choice. If I had to pick one phone to go with for electronic in the sub-400 price range I would grab the D5k, but I don't prioritize midrange. You may want to get the D7k ($550) for peace of mind.
I honestly don't know of anything that would be perfect for your needs. I do think the AD2000's are really excellent for electronic and have great mids, but they're significantly out of your price range (around $650) and tend to be love it or hate it.

As always, you should try to audition the phones before you buy. Try to find a meet in your area, your local head-fi members would be more than happy to let you listen, I'm sure.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 18
A $400 full-size headphone will probably offer you much better sound quality than a $400 IEM. Let's have a look at what you can buy for that money: an ATH-W1000 or ATH-A900Ti, a K701 or K702, an HD600, a DT880 or DT990 or an AH-D5000. They're all very good headphones that are almost guaranteed to outperform the top tier universal IEMS (TF10, IE8, W3 and UM3X, SE530).

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
either IEM or full-ear. As I said, my current IEM is cheap generic stuff and needs the upgrade more, but for a highly recommended full-ear (vs. my bose) I might go for that.

I listen to music either through my i-pod (outdoors) or my computer with my bose (indoor). read what I wrote...

I'm no native english person, but I think either can also be 'both':
"For example, a driveway that is lined by palm trees 'on either side' means that the driveway is lined with palm trees on both sides."

You didn't mention your pc. Then the question would be: what soundcard? Don't forget to use a good source if you want to upgrade things.

For great mids, the Grados (SR325is/RS2i) and Senns (HD600/650) may apply.
For $400 you may be able to find a used ESW10. wonderful headphone useful for both indoor and outdoor and not really amp dependant.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I listen almost exclusivity to psytrance and have looked for iems to suit that genre and found the HJE900 to handle these the best. There very fast detailed and mellow with deep bass and are very balanced. They can be had for $200-220 however they don't isolate as much as other iem offereings and are source dependant. I can not speak about the shure or customs line as i have not heard them however i've read many positive reviews on the D2000 as far as full sized cans go they are well liked around here and fit the budget

just my .02 cents

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Ultrasones.

He did say he wants full mids. I think Ultrasones have an unnatural midrange scoop, but that's just my taste.

Assuming you'll be using a low impedance phone, then a good soundcard would probably sound fine. Out of an ipod, you'll probably lose a bit of SQ. You also may be better off buying a cheaper phone (D2K for example) and spending the rest on a DAC/AMP (D10 would work, but a bit over budget - around 500 total with the D2K).

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 18
These feedbacks are great, thanks everybody.

I've been debating the necessity of an actual sound card for my full-ear phones, used on my PC. Is it actually that crucial, regardless of the phone? Do I need to invest a lot in it? I just have the standard on-board soundcard.

Additionally, I have never tried an amp. I understand best way is to field-test it, but local dealers are hard to find. In what terms does it boost the sound? Volume or depth?

The HJE900 look good. With the Shure SE420 reaching the budget limit, will I get that much of a quality difference?

As for the Dennons, they do look good. I will consider the D5K on your recommendation vs the cheaper 2k. I was never a fan of overwhelming bass and ear-crunching highs, I like rounder, softer, more complete sound experience that delivers the full range of sound layers.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did say he wants full mids. I think Ultrasones have an unnatural midrange scoop, but that's just my taste.

If you want headphones for psy you need a good bump on the kick/bass, a crazy sound stage, aka S-logic. The second option will be the K-702.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been debating the necessity of an actual sound card for my full-ear phones, used on my PC. Is it actually that crucial, regardless of the phone? Do I need to invest a lot in it? I just have the standard on-board soundcard.

Additionally, I have never tried an amp. I understand best way is to field-test it, but local dealers are hard to find. In what terms does it boost the sound? Volume or depth?

Regarding an amp, it really depends on the headphones; sometimes you will find headphones, especially with high impedance that scale very well - in sound quality - as you go up, sometimes, and generally this is true IME with the denons, they will scale a bit but not as much as other headphones (for example, hd650, hd800). For low impedance headphones, you should make sure you buy an amp with a low output impedance. The absolute maximum would be a few ohms less the the headphone impedance, otherwise you'll start affecting the frequency response (in a bad way).

Practically, this means you should check this spec. This also means you should stay away from OTL tube amps for low impedance headphones.

You should definitely invest in a decent soundcard. The ASUS essence looks like a solid performer. You will definitely hear a difference because (1) way better dac than your motherboard (2) more power than your ipod or mobo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want headphones for psy you need a good bump on the kick/bass, a crazy sound stage, aka S-logic. The second option will be the K-702.

I agree. I was just going with the OP's "full mids" desire even though my taste is a bit different.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 18
How about the Sony SA5000 ~ you have the budget and these are considered a favorite around here for all electronica genres. The D2000 dare I say it are a little boring, they are too relaxed and polite for in-your-face techno.

Not to derail the thread but what is psy music anyway? ~ Aphex Twin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back