PSU for Dacmagic Plus and old Dacmagic
Oct 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sssboa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

Some people claim there's a huge sound improvement to the Plus model with better PSU. I wonder how much of snakeoil is in that?

I have Dacmagic Plus with its original psu. 
I also bought the old Dacmagic with a bulky replacement psu, I don't know if it affects sound but it produces some buzzing noise from within its case and gives off some strong magnetic field that makes speakers hum if placed close to them.

Could anyone recommend a reasonable AC adaptor for the old Dacmagic and a DC adaptor for the Plus model? (I have both DACs)

Regards
Andy

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Can't recommend a specif one as I don't own those DACs

However, I bought a linear PSU from Mark Grant for my Bushmaster and it's quite good - a solid improvement on the base walwart thingie that came with the DAC.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=dac+magic

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 3
What I intend to do is to buy a lead-acid battery - one of the small modern sealed units - and use that. This will provide very low impedance with absolutely no mains hum, no mains noise and no earth loop palaver. All for the cost of a little hassle now and again re-charging it.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Could there be damage upon connection if the impedance it too low? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back