PSP Slim
Sep 8, 2007 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pappucho

1000+ Head-Fier
I just heard about the new PSP Slim and looks like it has some cool new features like video out and longer battery life.

Anyone know if it finally gets a line out?

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Caliente! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish that they updated the screen.

Same here. Other than that, the slim actually looks pretty good, considering the TV out and improved controls. (alas, still no second analog stick...)

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its an OK PMP I suppose but certainly nothing special for existing owners of PSP 1, like myself, unless you must have TV out

Ditto, besides, I have more fun with homebrew.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 12
My main use for the PSP has been watching movies while on the road. It's a real bummer that there hasn't been a true line out yet. Is there an alternative DIY approach to getting a true line out that I haven't heard about? As good as my Imod is at music, I hate watching movies on that tiny screen!

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main use for the PSP has been watching movies while on the road. It's a real bummer that there hasn't been a true line out yet. Is there an alternative DIY approach to getting a true line out that I haven't heard about? As good as my Imod is at music, I hate watching movies on that tiny screen!

You might want to check out acidmods.com/, I community dedicated to modding consoles.

Although I know they don't have a line-out mod for the PSP, maybe you can get their R&D Team to look into it.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 12
So.. how bad is the PSP screen compared to other bigger screen PMP's like Archos 405/605, upcoming iTouch, P2, etc.? I know it has refresh rate issues, but beyond that, with its best app (whatever that is) making the best quality file you can get on there, is it good enough to use as your main PMP for video or it just doesn't cut it?

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Sony really missed the boat on this update. This seems like nothing more than a last-ditch effort to squeeze out PSP sales before Sony gets to work on the next generation. Without built-in storage, the PSP is pretty impotent against the iPod and Archos for music and movies (which is what I bought the PSP for in the first place since I'm not much of a gamer).

Predictions for next-gen: Built-in HDD, better screen resolution and 802.11g.

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mister__big /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony really missed the boat on this update. This seems like nothing more than a last-ditch effort to squeeze out PSP sales before Sony gets to work on the next generation. Without built-in storage, the PSP is pretty impotent against the iPod and Archos for music and movies (which is what I bought the PSP for in the first place since I'm not much of a gamer).

Predictions for next-gen: Built-in HDD, better screen resolution and 802.11g.

HAH! Yeah right. A UMD player, Memory Stick slot, and an HD. I could understand, built-in flash memory since those are small little add ons to the motherboard. But a 1.8" HD. Like they may use a .8" HD but those max out at like 20GB or somethin and are super slow. Useless. Flash memory would be a much better idea as has been proven in the Nano which moved away from the Mini's HD.

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, the first custom firmware for the PSP slim came out today. Homebrew capable. The PSP will support any audio format via homebrew, even if people here would consider the output mediocre. It certainly shouldn't be used as a main source for any type of rig. My biggest complaint with the PSP in general is the lag in refresh rate on the screen. Thats what they really needed to improve on instead of removing Infrared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back