PSB Speakers
Jul 30, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Amurai

New Head-Fier
So originally I've been looking for some PSB Alpha B1s for my dorm room, however I haven't been able to find any cheap enough (~200) for my liking. Thus, I've upped my price limit a little bit. While searching on ebay I've seen some PSB Image B15s and B25s offered. I've heard good things about the B1s and thus I'm wondering how these two 'image's compare. Are they were the increased price?

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 10
The Image series is fairly solid through the range, the B15 is a good speaker, but if you can swing the B25, it's a nice step up, as it offers deeper and more authoritative bass, plus the ability to deliver louder sound levels. You can get the B15s for $259 a pair "b" stock, and the B25 for $349 from DMC Electronics, a great dealer that I've bought a lot of gear from.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 10
At this price, you could also consider the av123 xl-s.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 10
It seems the X-LS according to the AV123 website goes for around $220, which is significantly better than the PSB options it seems price-wise. Am I going to lose a lot of my low end if I go for the X-LS?

Jul 31, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 10
I trust the X-LS designer a lot more than I trust PSB, having owned the Image 2B, years ago. The PSBs had very boxy coloration, for lack of a better description. I don't know how the designs compare to each other in bass extension or output, but you can always add a subwoofer later for lower bass.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust the X-LS designer a lot more than I trust PSB, having owned the Image 2B, years ago. The PSBs had very boxy coloration, for lack of a better description. I don't know how the designs compare to each other in bass extension or output, but you can always add a subwoofer later for lower bass.

I don't know much about AV123, their website looks good and their products promising. But I trust Paul Barton (founder and chief designer for PSB) a whole lot. PSB has spent a lot of effort on psychoacoustics research, anechoic chamber testing, and partnership with the Canadian National Research Center. The Image and Alpha series do not exhibit the refinement and dynamics of high-dollar speakers, but they do exceedingly well for their price range and a good measure beyond. Some of the smaller Alpha and Image models may require the right placement to sound their best, but I personally haven't experienced even a hint of boxiness in protracted listening.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 10
Hmm what a dilemma. I guess the best thing to do would be to audition both brands. I'm just not aware of any stores that carry hifi speakers from a variety of brands near me.

If anyone has any more opinions or suggestions feel free to post. Thanks for all the help so far also.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 10
I know PSB has a lot of stuff on paper going for him, but his speakers disappointed me greatly. Those reviews touting PSB's credentials got to me, too, when I decided to buy the Image 2b. Box coloration doesn't always make itself obvious on all types of recordings, but it was the first thing I noticed when I heard my speakers. I would never buy another PSB speaker. The tweeter was also quite harsh, imo, and certainly unrefined. On the other hand, Danny Richie has designed well received speakers from $220 up to the epiphany audio 20-21@$27,000. There's simply no competition here, for those in the know, imo. The X-LS is comparable to MOST bookshelves under $1k. There are some companies out there that offer better value in the $500-$1k range, but not many. With the value that the X-LS offers, it's always worth considering for <$1k. You may wish to skip over the other offerings under $1k and go straight to higher classed offerings, when you're ready to move on.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks guys for the detailed comments. I think I'm going to make an effort to see if I can audition these speakers as that's really the best way to know what sound pleases my personal ears best. Again though I really appreciate the posts.

I know my friend has an old Sony receiver that I could use, and I'm going to see if it's worth it quality-wise. So I may be posting in the next couple days to see if you guys have any opinions on that once I found out what model it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back