PSB M4U 1 or Mr Speakers Mad Dog
Apr 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

GregH

New Head-Fier
I have an ancient pair of Bose over-the-ear headphones. They sound decent but after wearing for 40 minutes or so I have to adjust them and they don't get better the longer they're on.
I've been using EAC to rip my CD collection to FLAC and picking up most of my new music on HDTracks.
I listen through my laptop when working at home so closed-back are the only way I can go, at least that is what my wife says.

My stereo system is a 30-year old Mitsubishi dual monaural amplifier and pre-amp driving a pair of real Infinity Quantum V speakers (dual voice coil woofers and the famous EMIT ribbon tweeters) so I do care about sound. I listen to a mix of music from Vivaldi, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Dire Straits, Aerosmith, Roxy Music, Basia, Mannheim Steamroller and Bob James.

Enough with the introductory material, on to the post...

I'm in the market for good phones around $300. I've been reading everything and have narrowed the list down to the PSB M4U 1 or the Mr Speakers Mad Dog. The headphones need to be comfortable to wear for a couple of hours at a time and deliver quality sound.  So, if you were just starting on your headphone obsession how would you begin?

Thanks for helping the new guy.

Greg

While I don't, yet, have a DAC/Amp I know that it can't be far off into the future. (This site isn't good for my wallet!)

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Do you want portable or at home cans?  If it is the former, your choice is the PSB (which also is better suited for lower powered devices) and If the second--get the Mad Dogs.  If you have no preference, probably the Mad Gogs win on build quality/durability alone.  Both are excellent cans for doing what they are designed to do.

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.  Both of these cans are generally considered to be comfortable within their respective classes.  However, your mileage may vary--perhaps greatly.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 18
They'll be primarily for at-home use. (I would probably take the Bose if traveling so I wouldn't have to worry about damaging good gear.)

I plan to buy a DAC because I know that my computer's Realtek onboard audio isn't exactly "Hi-Res." It's a great machine for business but it wasn't built for high-end audio. I didn't really consider that when I built it...

The reason I bring up the DAC is because I've read that the Mad Dog's will scale-up to better equipment. Is that not also the case with the M4U 1's?

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 18
I've been looking at both of those too! Although I'm way more indecisive than you are. Let us know what you choose. 

ya, amping low impedance head phones won't do much, unless you have a terrible source and it might clean it up a little. You would want to find a unit that doesn't have too much gain, doesn't amplify too much, or you'll just be listening at much higher volume levels. Which I guess is why some people do it. I like my ears and I can hear the source material and be happy with it at lower volumes, I just want the separation. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I've honestly never amped low impedence phones. I just have a couple pairs of 40+ ohms that respond great to my Fiio E10 

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 18
  They'll be primarily for at-home use. (I would probably take the Bose if traveling so I wouldn't have to worry about damaging good gear.)

I plan to buy a DAC because I know that my computer's Realtek onboard audio isn't exactly "Hi-Res." It's a great machine for business but it wasn't built for high-end audio. I didn't really consider that when I built it...

The reason I bring up the DAC is because I've read that the Mad Dog's will scale-up to better equipment. Is that not also the case with the M4U 1's?

The PSB will scale up--to a point.  It's not designed or intended to be paired regularly with the highest end equipment tiers, as those are desktop units.

Can't speak with authority on the Mad Dog scaling up, as I have only heard it at Head-Fi meets with the a limited selection of equipment.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 18
tek,
I'm also now considering the Oppo PM-3s.  I'm a fan of their Blu-Ray players and they've come out with a $399 model to spite me!
With regards to amping, I'm not so interested in boosting the volume as getting a better source than the audio out jack on my laptop computer. That's a journey I haven't really started researching...and saving for!

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 18
KG,
Thanks for the reply. I think I need to find a good shop that carries the cans so I can try them out.
Man, and here I thought I'd pop onto the board, read a couple of reviews and jump to Amazon to buy something.  Now I'm raising my budget and starting to look to DACs.

Does it ever end?

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 18
  KG,
Thanks for the reply. I think I need to find a good shop that carries the cans so I can try them out.
Man, and here I thought I'd pop onto the board, read a couple of reviews and jump to Amazon to buy something.  Now I'm raising my budget and starting to look to DACs.

Does it ever end?

That's up to you, your willpower and your wallet.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 18
I've seen reviews of Mad Dog 3.2 but notice on Mr Speakers' site that only Mad Dog (SKU MD004) or the Mad Dog Pro. Is there a difference between the Mad Dog 3.2 and the current Mad Dog (non-pro)?

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 18
Didn't have a chance to audition the mad dogs. They look great, but I tried on the PSBs today at a local shop in Portland and was immediately sold for $250 new.

Felt like a deal, and it definitely suits the sound I was looking for.....good luck Greg!

P.S - even at low impedance as these are they sounded awesome with an amp.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 18
Quick impressions:

After 3 hours I'm struggling to take these off! Been pumping all kinds of variety through my iPhone 5S ... At 320kbps
The PSB M4U1 is a fun warm sound that never takes a detour from accuracy. The soundstage is slightly tighter than my a700's but the musical positioning and the stage that is there is highly articulate. Without and amp, without burning em in, right out of the box I am entirely pleased with this purchase.

There's only 7 full reviews up, so maybe this noob will drop a little more praise on the pile after I have time to settle in. Sorry if I'm thread jacking, having so much fun with these I couldn't resist.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 18
No thread jack because you're discussing the PSB's which are on-topic!
I'm going to try to stop by a shop that carries PSB tomorrow and listen to them. But I have to figure out how to try the Mad Dog and the PM-3, too.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 18
Good luck listening... I figure the MDs might have to be purchased on rep. I couldn't find anywhere to hear them.

Dang I missed it today I meant to grab the Oppos on the peg today. I reached for the Focal Spirit Ones and they weren't for me. The clerk did say I could preorder a portable amp from Oppo for only 2 grand! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back