PSA DL-III DAC vs. TIANYUN ZERO DAC SHOOT-OUT
Oct 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oatmeal769

500+ Head-Fier
These are the results of experiments I've been doing lately to resolve some of my own questions about different levels of gear, price differences, and so on. I recently purchased a PS Audio DL-III and for several reasons, my curiosity then got out of hand. Sometimes I felt like it rendered D/A conversion as the smoothest cleanest most revealing sound I'd yet heard in a DAC. Other times, I wasn't so sure it was really all that much of an upgrade.
I started to wonder about the relation between cost and quality in my audio chain.
I was aware of diminishing returns in audio, but if I was to spend around ten times the amount on one DAC vs. another, I wanted it to at least be demonstrably better - Meaning I could at least be sure I and others could definitely hear the value difference. So without further rambling, I've put together -

THE GREAT "PSA DL-III with Cullen level 3 Modification DAC vs. Tianyun ZERO DAC with Burr/Brown OPA-627 OpAmps-on-a-Brown-Dog-Adapter DAC" SHOOT OUT

====================================

Equipment:

Computer

The PC used was one of my home built PC's Running MS Vista.
Spec's -
Main Board : GIGABYTE with onboard audio for the SPDIF digital output coaxial.
Processing : Intel P45 Chipset with Intel Core 2 Duo 'Conroe' Processor @ 2.4 GHz
Audio Chipset : Realtek ALC888, Azalia audio chip
Audio Driver : R-2.31Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver)
Volumes were set at 100%

Playback:

Tianyun ZERO DAC with dual OPA-627 Op-Amps on Brown-Dog Adapter, purchased new, March 2008

PS Audio DL-III with Cullen Circuits level 3 modification, purchased used, Summer 2009

Foobar2000 with the WASAPI plug-in, and all processing etc. turned off. Volumes were set at 100%

( Data is verified to be "Bit Perfect" to the input of the DAC using the familiar method of analog recording of DTS data, decoded correctly by a home theater DTS receiver. )
For complete-ness, I used the exact same power cord, outlet and coaxial cable on each DAC. Nothing else was hooked up to the DAC's other than the same output cables. These then were connected to the E-Mu 1212m soundcard at it's recording inputs. The connections used were quality, name branded cables. Coaxial cable was used to connect the Dac's to the PC's Coaxial/SPDIF output.

Capture:

Hardware based recording was done with the E-Mu 1212M PCI System
Software based file capture and editing was done using Soundforge version 9.0c and the E-Mu Patchmixer v.2

The Music:

Modest Mussorgsky - "Promenade 01" - Pictures at an exhibition [DDD] 1999
Carmen Gomes - "Let's Go Get Stoned" - Marantz High End Audiophile Test Demo SACD 1st Edition
Fantômas - "4-03-05 Megalisia" Suspended Animation, [ADD] 2005

All music is from lossless files which have been ripped error free using E.A.C. and converted to FLAC. Each file is under 30 seconds in length to avoid copyright issues.

Analysis:

RightMark Audio Analyzer V. 6.2.3

A/B/X testing was done using Foobar2000 with it's built in ABX comparator.

=============================

PART I:

The R.M.A.A. Tests

Download and unzip the folder, then click on the .htm file to see how these two measured up against each other, as well as the E-Mu 1212m I used to record the tracks.
(The folders in the .zip contain the images for the .htm files to use in the browser.) The RightMark Audio Analyzer was used to indicate measureable differences between the two DAC's.

Download the RMAA files here
and check out the results.

=============================

PART II:

The A/B/X Double Blind Tests

To do this, you will need an A/B/X tool, which will allow you to compare the samples in a double blind environment. There are several tools available like :
WinABX, and Foobar2000

Recording input was done with an E-Mu 1212m sound card. Earlier experimentation using the RealTek onboard inputs for analog recording produced non-linear and inaccurate results, so I upgraded to a dedicated studio recording card - E-Mu 1212m.
E-Mu Patchmixer software was used to set inputs to the correct analog signal levels. All other inputs and outputs were left at 100% / 0dB (unity) No gain change occured anywhere in the analog signal path.
For recording, I first played a lossless recording of a 0 dB 1 KHz sine wave through my system, the only variable being the DAC. Using this, I set the recording level at -3.50 Db, for each to recording to ensure no chance of clipping.
File recording and editing was done using Soundforge 9. The files were clipped at each end so that they were exactly the same length and time. I normalized as necessary to further ensure exactly identical volume levels after editing the clips. This did not change the file's structure or dynamics at all.

4015816194_e97cf3aec6_o.jpg

Two files pre-editing in Soundforge. Editing consisted of clipping the files to the exact starting and stopping points, and checking for exact volume matching only.

4015816220_68b640a7db_o.jpg

File s-t-r-e-t-c-h. The screen here spans only 2 thousandths (0.002) of a second. Resolution is precise enough to edit to the exact sample point.

=========================================

Listening

You didn't think I was going to just GIVE you MY results, did you? Besides, if I gave the answers, it wouldn't be 'double blind' would it?

Download the Audio Files here
and A/B/X them yourself.

More about how to do blind tests HERE:

I have an idea which is to post the files as unidentifiable by name (hopefully) and allow others to be the research team. I hope others sharing their own conclusions will shed more light on this topic than just me posting what I think.
I have renamed each file by color. I hope this will help preserve the objectivity. Can anyone can hear differences, and if so, how much? Is the test too easy? Too hard? which sounds 'better'?
All I ask is that IF you choose to post your results, please be honest. There's no need to skew someone else's experience by trying to prove a point. Each result should have at least 6 to 8 attempts to be considered 'statistically viable.'
Foobar2000's ABX comparator gives a nifty little log at the end, which can be copied and pasted.

If there is enough interest, I will post which DAC is responsible for each file later.

My fundamental query remains unanswered, so I'm leaving it to the reader. The PSA DL-III with Cullen mods is roughly eight to ten times the cost of the Tianyun ZERO DAC, both used and new.
Is the cost worth it? Why or why not?

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Interesting. I'll do this when I get home.

Should we just pm you the results? So people don't just come into this thread, read a few posts and see many people prefer A over B, and bias their own judgment even before hearing it for themselves.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Interesting and thanks for doing this !

For the Mussorgsky the maximum difference for any frequency between the two files is 0.1db at frequencies up to 10K, 0.2db up to 16K and only rises to a massive 0.3db at 20K at which point the signal is at -96db

I plotted the data in an Excel chart and they are pretty much indistinguishable until about 21K..this is also taking into account that the two files are not actually the same size, there is about 4k size difference between them and the same for the other samples
confused.gif

Hmm, am I going to waste 10 minutes abxing these, um, er, no don't think so ! - Edit I tried anyway but gave up after 2 attempts I could not even guess they were utterly identical to me

Can I make a humble suggestion ?

Do multiple captures of each sample to smooth out random variation, when I was testing cables I found that different recordings of the same samples with the same cables could be sligthly different and when you are dealing with such small differences anyway averaging out random variation is really valuable.

But I know what I conclude from your tests

Cheers

Dr. Nick

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 13
excellent!

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 13
the dl3 is one dac (of many) i am interested in.
sold my zero before buying my current (v)dac.
the PSA dl3 better win!!!!!!!!

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should we just pm you the results? So people don't just come into this thread, read a few posts and see many people prefer A over B, and bias their own judgment even before hearing it for themselves.

I dunno, what do you guys all think? I figured just renaming the files randomly might keep things more 'fair' But I do see that eventually a preponderance of opinion either way might influence... Of course, what if the majority is wrong, and the few who are right get to gloat??
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting and thanks for doing this !

My pleasure, I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot. Quote:

For the Mussorgsky the maximum difference for any frequency between the two files is 0.1db at frequencies up to 10K, 0.2db up to 16K and only rises to a massive 0.3db at 20K at which point the signal is at -96db

I plotted the data in an Excel chart and they are pretty much indistinguishable until about 21K..this is also taking into account that the two files are not actually the same size, there is about 4k size difference between them and the same for the other samples
confused.gif

I thought it was weird that there would be actual size of file differences too.
If the files are different, small variations in peak amplitude won't surprise me, sound consists of frequency, amplitude, and time - or something like that - so my guess is that if they are to be heard as different, at least one of those things needs to change... Remember, only the highest peak of any given file was measured and placed equal to it's counterpart file. The files themselves remain unchanged. Quote:

Do multiple captures of each sample to smooth out random variation, when I was testing cables I found that different recordings of the same samples with the same cables could be sligthly different and when you are dealing with such small differences anyway averaging out random variation is really valuable.
Dr. Nick

It still would seem to me that if there is to be an audible difference, the file must change somewhat. But even if the recordings are of identical gear, and I'm trying to hoodwink everyone, I would think that even the same device, sample, etc. recorded twice would change a small amount... Maybe someone with more computer knowledge than I knows more about how files get made ...

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 13
I find it interesting.

I would not do the test because it would be paradoxical....

Let me try to describe and let me know if I misunderstand your test.

1) I play the same files, via 2 different DACs and then record the analog line in, 1 of the from PS DL III, 1 from the other excellant DAC with much lower costs.

2) Note that I am using PS DL III to play the files, I am likely to feel they all sound like PS DL III

3) Since I cannot distinguish the output, you conclude that there is no difference, while the truth is that both sounds were played through the DL III and I correcly identify it as such......

In view of this significant doubt, I believe the actually "correct" blind test should be what you do in audio shop. You play the same tracks, switching the DAC only with the remaining equipment intact, except that for this test, the moderator should not let the other know which one is which.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by msahau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) Since I cannot distinguish the output, you conclude that there is no difference, while the truth is that both sounds were played through the DL III and I correcly identify it as such......

That is not the way to think about it. If you play The Clash and Mozart through the same DAC under blind tests you can still (hopefully) tell which is which regardless of the final dac used for playback, the files are different and you will detect the difference.

In this test the differences will be somewhat smaller but there will still be differences, the question is whether these differences are big enough to be detected. So long as you are using a half-decent playback system any substantial differences will be detectable.

Since the playback DAC has vanishingly low distortion, good linearity and low noise it will not be a limiting factor, the only possible, but highly improbable limiting factor is the recording set-up, now I have been able to use a $30 ADC to measure and successfully blind test differences between 4 different CD players[1] , so the OP's rather better recording device is highly unlikely to get in the way , as it were.

[1] The loudest CD player was on average 0.7db louder than the quietest one. Once the levels were adjusted it became impossible for me to tell them apart.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Note that I am using PS DL III to play the files, I am likely to feel they all sound like PS DL III

That is one of the reasons I posted this shoot out. People can listen to the recordings through their own rigs. I'm hoping by having many different replies, any single rig and it's bias (if any) might be filtered out. Quote:

... You play the same tracks, switching the DAC only with the remaining equipment intact, except that for this test, the moderator should not let the other know which one is which.

I think that's what I've done here. (?) Renaming the files should keep anyone from knowing which is which.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Okay, no one wants to take my poll... Fine. This thread is mostly my notes for my learning anyway! *sniff*
frown.gif

So, I'll post my answers in two parts. First here are my results for the double blind listening tests. Later I'll post which recordings belong to which DAC.

The short answers -
There's about an 85% probability that I can hear a difference on 'Promenade.'
There's about a 95% probability that I can hear a difference on Megalisia. - I can definitely hear a difference.
I could not reliably tell a difference on 'Let's Go Get Stoned'

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the breakdown.

These are the results I got for Promenade / Mussorgsky. I ran the test 4 times, and never did better than 7 in 8 but never did worse than 5 in 8, I got the score pictured below twice. I think that there's only about a 15% chance that I'm guessing. I wanted to do ten or twelve comparisons, but this one I had to get pretty loud with to hear what I was focusing on.

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v0.9.6.9
2009/10/14 14:59:20

File A: PSA_Promenade.wav
File B: ZERO_Promenade.wav

14:59:20 : Test started.
14:59:39 : 01/01 50.0%
15:00:50 : 02/02 25.0%
15:01:51 : 03/03 12.5%
15:02:46 : 04/04 6.3%
15:04:56 : 04/05 18.8%
15:07:00 : 04/06 34.4%
15:08:59 : 05/07 22.7%
15:12:48 : 06/08 14.5%
15:13:02 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 6/8 (14.5%)

==========================

There's only about a 5% chance I'm guessing on Megalisia. I was able to do this over longer periods - I.E. 10 to 12 attempts, because I didn't need it to be so loud. I got the same results twice in a ten run attempt. In an 8 run attempt, I got 7 out of 8 for a less than 2% chance I was guessing. This one I had the best accuracy, and it also seemed most apparent. It is also the song I'd say I'm most familiar with - could that play a role??

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v0.9.6.9
2009/10/14 18:07:40

File A: ZERO_Megalisia.wav
File B: PSA_Megalisia.wav

18:07:40 : Test started.
18:09:45 : 01/01 50.0%
18:10:17 : 02/02 25.0%
18:10:45 : 02/03 50.0%
18:11:37 : 03/04 31.3%
18:12:51 : 03/05 50.0%
18:14:01 : 04/06 34.4%
18:15:49 : 05/07 22.7%
18:17:04 : 06/08 14.5%
18:18:11 : 07/09 9.0%
18:21:04 : 08/10 5.5%
18:21:14 : Test finished.

-----------
Total: 8/10 (5.5%)

==========================

I could not reliably tell a difference on 'Let's Go Get Stoned' Interestingly, this was the one I thought I'd have the least difficulty with, because it had more space, and more recorded room sound than the others. I did a little better than 50/50 on one, but got bad results the other three times I tried - Like this one...

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v0.9.6.9
2009/10/15 18:57:48

File A: PSA_Get.Stoned.wav
File B: ZERO_Get.Stoned.wav

18:57:48 : Test started.
19:01:38 : 01/01 50.0%
19:02:46 : 01/02 75.0%
19:04:56 : 02/03 50.0%
19:06:36 : 03/04 31.3%
19:08:15 : 03/05 50.0%
19:09:51 : 03/06 65.6%
19:10:08 : Trial reset.
19:15:41 : 00/01 100.0%
19:15:51 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 3/7 (77.3%) (LOL)

So there you have it. Answers on which files belong to which DAC later...

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 13
The silver standard for significance testing is p < 0.05 or 5%, but to be reliable you really must have at least 10 trials, since a lucky run of 7 or 8 is not impossible. Thus, only your second set approaches a significance that would traditionally be accepted, though not quite making it if we are being really strict, in the first one you did not do 10 trials.

Nevertheless, your results do strongly suggest that you *may* be able to tell them apart, I only tried on the Mussorgsky and gave up after two trials on that.

Interestingly there is a 9db difference between red and orange but only at the very highest frequencies, above 20k they part company drastically.

From 0 - 10k red is louder by a tiny amount ( well under 0.1db) , then from almost exactly 10k (9539 to be exact) onwards orange is louder and consistently so for quite a while, at 15K the difference is 0.1db , at 19K the difference is 0.2db , at 20K the difference is 0.5db, at 21K red is louder again and at 22028 there is a 9db difference in favour of red.

Though I am dubious as to how much the stuff above 20k influences the detection of differences , unless you have bat-like hearing ?

Interesting though !

Again thanks for doing this stuff !

Overall the average difference is about 0.1db.

I do not know which one you prefer but one is markedly better than the other in terms of noise and distortion, the THD on one does get a tad high (technically it is twice as bad as the "good" one) but I am still skeptical that this would be detectable except at absurd levels , ditto noise level differences

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 13
ìóæñêîé ïîëîâîé ÷ëåí ðàñò¸ò äî æåñòêàÿ ãåé îðãèÿ ôîòî ôîòî ãîëûõ òóðåöêèõ ïàðíåé ìàëü÷èê ñîñåò õóé ôîòî ãåé âýá êàìåðà èçäåâàòåëüñòâî íàä ìóæñêèì ÷ëåíîì ôîòî ìèíåò ñïåðìà ãåè ãåé ìàëü÷èøêè îíëàéí ãäå ïîçíàêîìèòüñÿ ñ ãååì ïîäðîñòêîâîå ãåé ïîðíî
èíöåñò ãåè ïîðíî ðóññêîå ïîðíî 2 ìàòü ñûí ñåêñ ïîðíî äî÷ü ëåñáèÿíêà yabb ïîðíî äåâñòâåííèöû ïîðíî àíèìå âèäåî bbs ïîðíî äîáàâèòü ãîëûå êðàñèâûå äåâ÷îíêè ôîòî ñàìûå ëó÷øèå ïîðíî ðàññêàçû ñàíêò ïåòåðáóðã ïîðíîâèäåî
îäèí ãåé åáåò äðóãîãî èùó ìàëü÷èêà äëÿ ãåé ñåêñà âèäåî ãîëûå âîåííûå ïàðíè ñåðãåé äóáèíèí ãåé ìèð âèäåî ãååâ ãåé òåñò ôëýø ôîòî íèæíèé íîâãîðîä ïèñàþùèé ìàëü÷èê åáëÿ ãååâ ñìîòðåòü îíëàéí ñêà÷àòü ãåé ïîðíî ïîäðîñòêîâ ãîëûå ìóæèêè íåãðû
ìÿñèñòàÿ ïèçäà ïîðíî äåâóøêà ìàñòðóáèðóåò ôîòîøîï ñî çíàìåíèòîñòÿìè ãîëûå ïîðâàíûå ïèçäû ñåêñ ôîòî ìàì ïîðíî ñòàðèê òðàõàåò ïîðíà ðîëèêè ïîñìîòðåòü ïîðíî çâåçä ýñòðàäû âèäåîðîëèêè ïîðíóõè ïîðíî çðåëûå ïóõëûå
ëó÷øàÿ ìóæñêàÿ ýðîòèêà ñêà÷àòü ïîëíîìåòðàæíûå ãåé ôèëüìû ïîñìîòðåòü áåñïëàíî ïîðíî ãååâ ñêà÷àòü ãîëûå ïàðíè ãåé êàìàñóòðà â êàðòèíêàõ ãåé áëèçíåöû âèäåî ôîòî ãîëûõ áàá è ìóæèêîâ àðìåéñêèé ãåé ñåêñ íà âèäåî ôîòî ìóæ÷èí íà ìàøèíå ðîñáàëò ãåé ïàðàä ñåðáèÿ
ïîðíî âèäåî êëèïû ñåêñà ÷àñòíîå ïîðíî ôîòî ìîëîäåíüêèå ïîðíî ôèëüìû îíëàéí çíàìåíèòîñòåé ñòóäåíòû ïîðíî ãåè ÷èòàòü ñåêñ ïîðíî ôîòî î÷åíü ìîëîäåíüêèõ äåâî÷åê äîìàøíåå ïîðí ïîðíî êàðòèíêè site de ãåè ãðóïïîâîé ñåêñ ôîòî ãîëûå äåâóøêè 18
ãîëûå ïàðíè íà ìåäêîìèññèè ôîòî ãåé ïîðíî âèäåî ñêà÷àòü ðóññêèå ãåé ñàéò ãîëóáàÿ ëàãóíà êíèãè ïðî ãååâ íå õî÷ó áûòü ãååì ïîðíîâèäåî ãååâ ïîñìîòðåòü ãååâ êîìåäèè ïðî ãååâ ãåé øêîëüíèêà â ïîïó îíëàéí ñêà÷àòü ãåé ïîðíî ïîäðîñòêîâ ìîëîäåíüêèå ìàëü÷èøêè ãåè ôîòî ãîëûå àðìÿíå ãåè àìåðèêàíñêèé ïåâåö ãåé íàêà÷åííûå ìóæèêè ôîòî ãðóïïîâîé ñåêñ ãååâ âèäåî ôîòî êðàñèâûå ãåé ìàëü÷èêè ãåé ñåêñ ñ áðàòîì ôîòî ãîëûõ òóðåöêèõ ïàðíåé ïàðíè ãåé ýñêîðò ïèòåð ðóññêèå ãåè ñêðûòîé êàìåðîé

Users who are viewing this thread

Back