PS4 Virtual Surround help!!
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SoAmusing777

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I plan to get a PS4. I opted not to get a mixamp or the Creative X7 (both are going to use optical anyway), but I do have a receiver, although it's old. I also have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD for my PC, so I guess outputting to that is an option as well, while I'm pretty sure that's still optical. LPCM output is going to have the highest quality and 2 additional channels over optical (7.1 vs 5.1). Also, I plan to get a 4K monitor.

Anyway, is it possible I can continue to use my old Harmon Kardon AVR 254 receiver for the Dolby Headphone virtual surround processing only? My theory to achieve this without issues is go into the PS4 settings, disable HDCP, and set the PS4 up with a powered HDMI splitter, with 1 going to my monitor and the other to my receiver. The receiver is not going to output anything. It'll just receive the signal, then my monitor for video. Will this work? It seems like a better option than spending $300 on the X7 just to use optical. I spent around $200-300 on the receiver years ago anyway. Or to spend a ton of money on a 4k capable receiver just for the damn audio.

Thanks!

EDIT: Guess this isn't possible aye? Even splitting it, the 1080p receiver will get 4k video data and what? Just do nothing? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back