PS4----> Bifrost----> Little Dot 1+ -----> SRH840.... will this setup work?
Sep 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any idea if this combo is compatible? I could see the USB input being a problem, but optical output should work fine.

I plan on saving for a Bifrost Uber Analogue + Gen 2 USB upgrade.

Your experiences with the PS3 and XBOX360 are welcome as well.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 21
USB wont work because you would need to drivers and you probably won't be able to install them on the PS4

I am doing this with my PS3. With PS3 you can also enable dual output mode so that there will be sound coming from the HDMI and the Optical.

I go:

PS3 Optical Out > Optical Switcher to select
          between my other gaming systems > Bifrost Optical Input > Lyr RCA Input > Headphones

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 21
  Does anyone have any idea if this combo is compatible? I could see the USB input being a problem, but optical output should work fine.
I plan on saving for a Bifrost Uber Analogue + Gen 2 USB upgrade.
Your experiences with the PS3 and XBOX360 are welcome as well.

I would assume it would work, the Bifrost can not process DDL (Dolby Digital live) or DTS-Headphone, At least one of those is needed to process more then 2-channels of audio, thru S/PDIF optical, so you would only get 2-channel stereo audio, no Headphone Surround Sound.
That is if the Sony PS3 or PS4 or xBox has a 2-channel audio setting, which I would think they would.

For Headphone Surround Sound, you could get an A/V receiver and connect it to any modern gaming console, using HDMI, Yamaha's receivers come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha own version of headphone surround sound, you would plug the headphones into the Yamaha's headphone jack.
What headphone do you have?

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 21
  I would assume it would work, the Bifrost can not process DDL (Dolby Digital live) or DTS-Headphone, At least one of those is needed to process more then 2-channels of audio, thru S/PDIF optical, so you would only get 2-channel stereo audio, no Headphone Surround Sound.
That is if the Sony PS3 or PS4 or xBox has a 2-channel audio setting, which I would think they would.

For Headphone Surround Sound, you could get an A/V receiver and connect it to any modern gaming console, using HDMI, Yamaha's receivers come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha own version of headphone surround sound, you would plug the headphones into the Yamaha's headphone jack.
What headphone do you have?

USB wont work because you would need to drivers and you probably won't be able to install them on the PS4

I am doing this with my PS3. With PS3 you can also enable dual output mode so that there will be sound coming from the HDMI and the Optical.

I go:

PS3 Optical Out > Optical Switcher to select
          between my other gaming systems > Bifrost Optical Input > Lyr RCA Input > Headphones

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Is an optical switcher necessary, does it degrade audio quality?

The Shure SRH840's

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 21
  Is an optical switcher necessary, does it degrade audio quality?
The Shure SRH840's

The Shures are 44-Ohm headphone, not the best for plugging into a receiver's high impedance headphone jack.
But the good news is the Astro Mix-amp can provide Headphone Surround Sound (optical) with a gaming console and the Mix-amp can easily drive 44-Ohm headphones.
So really do not need the BiFrost for use with the gaming consoles.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 21
  The Shures are 44-Ohm headphone, not the best for plugging into a receiver's high impedance headphone jack.
But the good news is the Astro Mix-amp can provide Headphone Surround Sound (optical) with a gaming console and the Mix-amp can easily drive 44-Ohm headphones.
So really do not need the BiFrost for use with the gaming consoles.

The Bifrost is strictly for music, I just wanted to see if you could use it for gaming.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 21
No, the switcher isn't necessary it is just that I have my other systems connected to it. Xbox 360, PS3, Cable Box, plus I'll use it for the new systems when they come out this year.

I don't know about a reduction in audio quality I figure it is just a optical signal with a pulsing LED for the conversion, from digital to optical, so the thought really hadn't crossed my mind since it's still digital until it hits the DAC.

Surround sound listening with a bifrost is theoretically possible with a simulated surround soundstage. Some of the "surround" headphone do just that. They simulate the surround by raising and lowering the volume of different sounds to give the impression of direction.

Although, some higher end surround headphones actually have multiple speakers.

I've never used surround sound before for anything so I don't know if it's worth it to buy more gear for that reason. It does seem like something that would be nice to have though.

Unless you are buying the Bifrost for audio quality for music as well as gaming then I would get the surround gaming headphones. But if you want it for the stereo only audio quality then I would probably get the Bifrost

Also you could get the surround headphones for around 250$ and a Magni / Modi combo (99$ x 2) which people have said is pretty good instead of the Bifrost.

The astro mix amp (129.99) I don't know too much about but I think that you can buy it separately and use it for simulated surround sound with any pair of headphones. You could also still add the Magni / Modi combo if you wanted for audio and gaming.

Please read some review before buying any of these products especially the surround headphones because they all have different features such as variable EQs, software for editing parameters via computer, etc.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 21
I received my LD and Bi-Frost
How do I hook it up to speaker?

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 21
I do not have any type of camera with me, I will have to go to my friends house in order to do this. That will take a while.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 21
let's see...

Optical Out of PS4/3/Xbox360/XboxOne

Optical In of Bifrost

RCA output of Bifrost (There is only one pair of RCA outputs)

RCA input of Little Dot 1+

Headphones to headphone output of little dot

-------------------------

With this setup the only way ( to my knowledge ) to bring in speakers (not headphones) would be to split the output of the bifrost off with a set of rca y cables into a set of powered speakers like AudioEngine A2 or A5+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back