PS3 & Zero DAC help: which audio signals are supported?
Sep 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
My speaker amp is really bad so I connected my Tianyun Zero '09 Edition DAC/amp with my PS3 via Toslink to enjoy movies and games over headphones. Playing audio over the PS3 is a definite improvement now! (Somehow it has less boomy and more punchy bass than on PC via USB?! How come the sound is different?)

I'm not completely sure which audio signals are supported, though. The manual is completely on Chinese, too, and my wife is away for the weekend. I'd just try around but the PS3 warns me that sending wrong signals might damage my equipment so I thought I'd rather ask here first.

By default, only the following two options are checked: Linear PCM 2K 44,1 KHz & 48 KHz.
I understand that the DAC won't handle Dolby Digital and DTS, but what about AAC, PCM 88,2 KHz & 176,4 KHz?

What happens if I then play a Blu-Ray with DTS audio track? Will the PS3 convert it to stereo first?

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 5
PCM 88,2 KHz & 176,4 KHz depending on whether your dac maxes out at 48, 96 or 192.

All in all just leave it at its defaults 44.1khz and 48khz you won't be missing much since most games are in 48khz anyway.  As for AAC I am sure that needs to be decoded and if your reciever/dac can't do that it probably isn't even worth thinking about.  I highly doubt a stand alone dac would have the proper tech for it, but an AV receiver probably would.  Once again this is largely irrelevant when it comes to games anyway.

Pretty sure blu-rays have stereo tracks even if they are not present in the options, if not I am pretty sure it will be mixed into a stereo output anyway.  That is what happens when I watch a blu-ray movie, it doesn't sent a dolby or DTS signal through. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 5
The Chinese manual says something with 24Bit/192KHz so that sounds good. But after USB it says 16bit48Khz. I guess I'll just take the risk and try. Let's see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks.

I just watched a Blu-Ray and Linear PCM 2K 176,4 KHz does seem to work. Sound quality is pretty good. Most noticeably the bass goes deeper and is a lot more detailed, but voices still lack some clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back