PS3 to LCD monitor with headphones!
Dec 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joomongj

Headphoneus Supremus
I know, another how to connect thread. I did a search on this and did come across a similar thread but is quite different from what the person's using, so please bear w/ me on this one.

Gonna get a PS3 this weekend to play some games over the holiday season over my Dell U2410. Now, my U2410 has VGA, DVI, HDMI, composite video(yellow), component video(red, green, blue), audio out outputs. I suppose I use HDMI-to-HDMI to connect my PS3 to my monitor for the video, but for the audio stream what exactly do I do? My first time owning a console so I have no clue on how to do this. Do I just plug the 3.5mm output of the headphones to the audio out of the monitor or to the composite/component? As I understand I need a male-dual-RCA-to-female-3.5mm jack to use the component part? I really have no clue....assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, another how to connect thread. I did a search on this and did come across a similar thread but is quite different from what the person's using, so please bear w/ me on this one.

Gonna get a PS3 this weekend to play some games over the holiday season over my Dell U2410. Now, my U2410 has VGA, DVI, HDMI, composite video(yellow), component video(red, green, blue), audio out outputs. I suppose I use HDMI-to-HDMI to connect my PS3 to my monitor for the video, but for the audio stream what exactly do I do? My first time owning a console so I have no clue on how to do this. Do I just plug the 3.5mm output of the headphones to the audio out of the monitor or to the composite/component? As I understand I need a male-dual-RCA-to-female-3.5mm jack to use the component part? I really have no clue....assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Composite, VGA, DVI, HDMI and Component are all video formats.

Think of it like this in terms of 'quality'. Top being the highest.

1. DVI / HDMI (only difference, HDMI runs audio on the same cord)
2. Component
3. VGA
4. Composite (crappiest, this is the (video)).

If your monitor already has an audio out, then you're set. Just use a single HDMI cable to hook up to your monitor then you can use your line out straight to your headphones (via 3.5mm).

I don't know what kind of quality you're going to get from it since it would be dependent on how the monitor routes the sound out.

If you find out that the sound is in fact bad, then you could always opt to hook it up to:

A. Hook it up to a receiver (assuming you have a HT sound system).
B. Use something like an Astro Mixamp
C. Get a good amp.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back